Free Teacher and Student Blogs

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Henry Teach

Free Teacher and Student Blogs

Post by Henry Teach » Fri May 07, 2004 8:43 pm

Free-ESL has set up free Student and Teacher blogs where you can start your own web log. Its completely free to use and takes just a few moments to set up.

Check out http://free-esl.com/all/blogs for more.

Henry

James Trotta

Why not have a go at an authentic blog?

Post by James Trotta » Mon May 17, 2004 1:15 pm

Class blogs are a great idea, but what if students want to practice with native speakers? Then they can go to a normal or authentic blog. But it would be best to find one that welcomes comments from English learners. I'm working on a directory of such blogs here: Blogs for learning English & teaching English

Henry Teach

Post by Henry Teach » Mon May 17, 2004 1:37 pm

This is what we hope ours will become. We'd like to keep it to Teachers and Students so that comments made will be in the context of ESL learning (i.e. no one will be criticised for bad grammar and spelling mistakes!)

There are comments allowed on each post so hopefully we can get a dialogue going when it's appropriate.

Henry
www.free-esl.com/all/blogs

James Trotta

Post by James Trotta » Mon May 17, 2004 2:14 pm

I can see why you might want to keep it ESL relevant, but its also important that students talk about real topics. If you take a look at my ESL & EFL friendly blogs directory you can find sports blogs, politics blogs, econimics blogs, travel blogs, etc. The whole point is to talk about something other than ESL or EFL.

Henry Teach

Post by Henry Teach » Mon May 17, 2004 2:42 pm

James Trotta wrote:I can see why you might want to keep it ESL relevant, but its also important that students talk about real topics. If you take a look at my ESL & EFL friendly blogs directory you can find sports blogs, politics blogs, econimics blogs, travel blogs, etc. The whole point is to talk about something other than ESL or EFL.
Oh, yes, I totally agree. We'd like bloggers to talk about not only their ESL life but also outside it. For example there's an excellent blog there at the moment from an ESL teacher in Japan who waxes lyrical about his social life as well as life inside the classroom.

I think the key is that when, for example, a student writes a blog about living in, say, Dubai, that it is the content which is more important than the way it is written. People visiting our blogs know that they're from teachers and students so there will be spelling and grammar mistakes and those are "out of bounds" as far as criticism is concerned.

More general collections of blogs with many native English speakers not concerned with ESL might mean a non-native speaker is criticised for poor English. Of course this is not a given, but we'd like our blogs to be a community of people with one thing in common: ESL.

Having said all this, the blogs are just getting off the ground now so how they will be presented in six months' time is open to conjecture.

By the way, please feel free to add your site to our links section if you wish. I took a look and it's obvious a lot of work has gone into it!!

Henry
http://www.free-esl.com/all/blogs

James Trotta

Post by James Trotta » Tue May 18, 2004 12:55 am

I didn't see a link submission, but feel free to add my blog directory (linked to above) or any of my personal blogs:

www.stock-market-idea.com
www.travel-plan-idea.com
www.esl-blog.com
www.nfl-giants.com
www.seo-search-engine-ranking.com

Also, please send me any blogs that welcome comments that should be added to my ESL & EFL friendly directory. I do have a category for education blogs!

askmequestion

Post by askmequestion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 am

I don't see a way to make blogs there on http://free-esl.com/all/blogs may be this is not available anymore.
You know what i would love to see, some kind of list of US centers that provide ESL courses or may be list of private but affordable tutors in US.

Kim
SEO Software