Googling in EFL?

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

abufletcher

Googling in EFL?

Post by abufletcher » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:17 am

Is anyone aware of any articles on the use of Google as a concordance tool? Googling a word or phrase appears to have become a standard way of checking on a range of things and I would imagine that someone has written up something.

strider

Post by strider » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:01 pm

Sorry, I don't know of any articles on this subject - but I do find that Google is a very useful tool in EFL teaching.

I often teach technicians, and they have very specific questions about particular components or tools. In the past, I referred to technical dictionaries or trade catalogues. Now, I just tap the word onto my Google search bar and launch a picture search. The images quickly show me what the technician is trying to describe, or show the student what I want to say.

Just this morning, the word 'lockbox' came up in a discussion with a financial guy. I wasn't sure if the word 'safe' was appropriate, but the Google search showed lots of small metal boxes with locks on them (what I would have described as a 'cash box'). A potentially long search through dictionaries was over in seconds.

Wereldreizigster

Post by Wereldreizigster » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Indeed, I have to second strider on that one. I don't have any articles on it either but I have used it with my students as well. I am using it as a teaching tool for some time now.

Specifically on students who learn from visual aids, it can be very helpfull. They ask me for instance what a 'stereo' means (simple example) and I tell them to look it up on Google (images). That way they get a visual image of what a stereo is. Which helps the student a 1000 times more than telling him it is something that produces music, etc.

Do remember to put a filter on sometimes. So have Google search only on English websites! (Otherwise you're into a big surprise sometimes, and trust me, that is NOT a good idea from time to time!).

emile

Post by emile » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:50 am

I would say Google is the concordance tool.

You can get a really good idea of usage by, for example, googling "interested in" (750 million hits) and "interested to" (19 million hits). Google has an incredibly sophisticated search algorithm and it is a fantastic tool for ESL teachers.

I use it everyday without fail.

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com

flosmi

Post by flosmi » Sun May 21, 2006 9:40 am

Googling a range of things is convenient for English teachers. It's time-saving, and google provide us with latest interpretations and explanations. But we are supposed to be alert and clear about what we are looking for or, we may get lost . You know we have to first of all locate the right place and then choose the very imformation for our questions. That's my feelings on googling. :)