any advice to use the computer lab in teaching english

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

waleed

any advice to use the computer lab in teaching english

Post by waleed » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:02 am

i have a computer lab connected with network
i want to use it for teaching english
is there any programs or ways to use the lab
i am waiting for your advices or experiences
if i find out new ways or programs i will post them here.

Lorikeet

Re: any advice to use the computer lab in teaching english

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:40 pm

waleed wrote:i have a computer lab connected with network
i want to use it for teaching english
is there any programs or ways to use the lab
i am waiting for your advices or experiences
if i find out new ways or programs i will post them here.

There are so many things you can do, it's hard to know where to start, and the mass of possibilities can be overwhelming. There are a lot of programs now that have CDs you can buy--I bet almost every big ESL textbook is going in that direction.

For myself, in the CALL (Computer-Assisted Language Learning) class that I teach, I only use the Internet. I link to different sites for grammar exercises. I also post my students' writings so they can read what each other has written. In addition, I've written some stories I have them do too, as well as some Activity Sites. Finally, I write worksheets to go with webpages. They read the directions and answer the questions. I think it's a lot more interesting than the usual ESL material. There are a lot of sites written for children that are very suitable for adults. My website is at http://fog.ccsf.edu/~lfried and the page for this class is at http://fog.ccsf.edu/~lfried/current.html if you are interested.

If anyone has any other sites you might thing suitable for worksheets (such as the history site for kids written by the Library of Congress at http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi ) please let me know.

sita

Post by sita » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:30 pm

Hi!

There is so much...

How about a Webquest?

Or have a look at these (free) sites

http://www.fun2learnmore.de

Best wishes
Siân
Last edited by sita on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

waleed

thanks for help

Post by waleed » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:40 pm

thabks for help
i will work on that
and if any thing come up
i will post it

waleed

ewakdz

Post by ewakdz » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:20 pm

You can use the Internet for testing.Here are some useful websites: http://www.aitech.ac.jp/~iteslj/quizzes/index.html , www.angelfire.com/on/topfen/tests.html www.churchillhouse.com/tests/index.html
You can also plan Internet lessons using websites or create your own interactive exercises with special programs, e.g. Hot Potatoes

Aroalnur

using computers for writing composition

Post by Aroalnur » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:57 am

hi everybody! i would like to know your opinion and feedback on students using computers in their writing composition.Does it really improve their English writing skils-with the use of Grammar&spelling correction, thesaurus and etc. pls reply to me at [email protected] would really appreciate your feedback.thanks

sita

Post by sita » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 am

Hi!

It helped some of my pupils- mainly the younger ones!

Best wishes
Siân

Aroalnur

writing via the computer

Post by Aroalnur » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:27 pm

hi, warm greeting from Malaysia
Dont you guys think that using the computer in writing composition is in some way burdening the students?
how does that differ with the traditional use of pencil& papers
waiting for the fedbacks, thanks

Aroalnur

writing via computer

Post by Aroalnur » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:32 pm

Do you think that students will improve their writing composition when they are using the computers,( less grammatical mistakes, spelling and vocabulary expansion). is there a clear distinction between the students whom are using the computer and those whom are not.please reply to me about this topic.thanks.have a nice day.ple reply to [email protected]

tomtoledo

Free Listening/Grammar Website

Post by tomtoledo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:22 pm

You might want your students to check out

www.englishzoom.com

It's a content-based grammar / listening practice site. Grammar practice activities are related to a story, which your students can also read and listen to online. Activities include mixers, story boards, filll-in, and multiple choice activities -- all designed to be fun. Students can email you from each page as they do it, so you'll know what they've done.

I've just completed 14 activities featuring phrasal verbs, and I'd love to have people enjoying themselves learning with them. English Zoom also includes practice activities on noun and adjective clauses and gerunds and infinitives

Please give the site a look. Check out the teachers' information page, too. :wink:

ICAL

Post by ICAL » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:57 pm

I'd definitely recommend using a WP in the classroom for the following reasons (there are many more, but this is a start):

1. By typing the students become aware of each individual letter in a word; it helps with spelling and when combined with a spell check on the WP this helps even more. The spell check can be turned off so that it won't automatically correct the spelling, it will just point out which words are spelt wrongly.

2. Likewise, the grammar checker won't necessarily correct the grammar. If you make sure your students understand that it's a very rudimentary check and that grammar checkers make mistakes, too, they will stop and think about why a sentence has been flagged and hopefully work out the mistake - if it's there.

Pete