Call

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Lee

Call

Post by Lee » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:53 pm

Please help me figure out the development of CALL to web-based instruction or web-based langauge learning. Are they the same thing? I would appreciate very much the reference on this respect.

Lorikeet

Re: Call

Post by Lorikeet » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:42 pm

Sorry, I can't give you a reference to cite, but I can tell you that "Computer-Assisted Language Learning" in my school has come to mean any activities that are done using the computer. It could include anything from using a word processor to using the Internet. (My CALL class, for example, only uses the Internet.) However, since my class meets twice a week in the computer lab (where I am always present and available to answer questions and solve problems) and three times a week in a regular classroom (where I do "regular classroom" activities), I don't think my class would qualify for the "web-based instruction" or "web-based language" labels.

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:00 pm

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. The reason I asked because I am going to introduce my site to a group of graduate students. It occurred to me I will begin with a brief introduction about the origin and development of the CALL. Of course, I will focus on the current trend of CALL or web-based. Do you know any reference available?

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:15 am

Sorry I'm not too good on the theoretical/historical stuff anymore, but perhaps someone else can help.

sita

Post by sita » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:39 am

Hi!

Have a look here :D

http://dbs.tay.ac.uk/eurocall2000/eng/history.htm

Best wishes

Siân

Lee

I found the article

Post by Lee » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:51 am

There is a short description of the history of CALL at
http://iteslj.org/Articles/Lee-CALLbarriers.html