How do you incorporate Internet into your classroom?

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Asox

How do you incorporate Internet into your classroom?

Post by Asox » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:25 am

Hello, everyone, I am an ESL teacher who is in her first year of a PhD program in bilingual education studies through the department of Language Reading and Culture at the University of Arizona (Tucson).

We have been talking a lot in my class about the use of different technologies to promote literacy development. I would be interested to hear about how you incorporate the Internet in your classrooms. It would really help me with a paper/presentation I have to do for class! :D

Thanks!
Amanda Sox
PhD Candidate
LRC, College of Education
University of Arizona

Phil L.

Educational use of the internet

Post by Phil L. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 am

Hello, everyone, I am an ESL teacher who is in her first year of a PhD program in bilingual education studies through the department of Language Reading and Culture at the University of Arizona (Tucson).

We have been talking a lot in my class about the use of different technologies to promote literacy development. I would be interested to hear about how you incorporate the Internet in your classrooms. It would really help me with a paper/presentation I have to do for class!

Thanks!
Amanda Sox
PhD Candidate
LRC, College of Education
University of Arizona
Hi Amanda,

We, at our college in the UAE, have been using the internet for lots of things. One interesting use was Project Based Learning with our beginner level students (around 400 students in our campus). Basically, this takes the form of a series of weeks throughout the academic year which are given over to doing integrated (maths, English, computers and personal development) themed projects. Examples have included health, environment, shopping, travel etc.

The students are organized into groups and must work collaboratively to make a product, be it a poster, a holiday brochure, a medical pamphlet, a PowerPoint, whatever by the end of the week. Another important aspect of these products was, following (Kress, 1997), a move toward the recognition of the importance of visual literacy and the creation of hybrid or multi-modal visual-verbal texts. It is all very well having a well written piece, Millard’s & Marsh’s (2001:55), “continuous, uninterrupted prose”, but if it isn’t also visually appealing then it’s less likely that the other students would read it and therefore it has failed to achieve its goal. These were different types of “texts” and therefore, “…invite[d] different types of literacy practices.” (Snyder, 2001:121).

Furthermore, although the end product was important, and indeed the students took great pains in the creation of their product, the emphasis, for the teachers, was on the process of retrieving and utilising the knowledge rather than the knowledge itself – the how, not the what. The benefit of this became clear as the classes progressed throughout the year. Whereas, at the start of the year, they were swamped by infomania (Heim,1992), as they progressed they became better at sifting through the datasphere (Rushkoff, 1994) and their visual literacy also progressed, cultural definitions of aesthetics aside.

Another use to which I have put the internet has been blogging. The students are shown how to create a blog on blogspot.com which they are required to update weekly. The students must connect to the blogs of the other students in the group. I then mark their writing and create a series of questions based on the students’ blogs which the other members of the group have to answer. This mark is recorded and goes towards a final assessment.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heim, M. (1992). Infomania. The metaphysics of virtual reality. New york: Oxford University Press.

Kress, G. (1997). Visual and verbal modes of representation in electronic mediated communication: The potentials of new forms of text. In I. Snyder: Page to screen: Taking literacy into the electronic age. Sydney: Allen and Urwin.

Millard, E & Marsh, J. (2001). Words with pictures: the role of visual literacy in writing and its implications for schooling. Reading Literacy and Language, (July).

Rushkoff, D. (1994). Media virus: Hidden agendas in popular culture. New York: Ballantine.

Snyder, I. (2001). A New Communication Order: Researching Literacy Practices in the Network Society (117-131). In Language and Education Vol. 15, No. 2 & 3.

alanfoo

Get your students to create digital questionnaires ....

Post by alanfoo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:07 am

Hello Phil L

You can also get yours students to use the Internet download the AGE Homework Generator that generates digital interactive homework/tutorials in seconds from www.paperlesshomework.com .

Get them to create contents and digital homework for lower classes.

That will be great projects for students to create something useful.

Set up a club for this and a lot of good things will happen.

Teachers will be happy to try them out too.

Glenski

Post by Glenski » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:39 pm

I used to teach in private HS in Japan. Had project classes similar to what Phil described. Two major group projects through the year.

Debate topic. Students had to research the pros and cons, and then when they were assigned which one they were to stand for, they had to make their proposition and supports, and be ready for the cons. Presentation was performed with PowerPoint.

I've used the Internet myself to show various things to students. Commercials (for discussion/comprehension), music clips (various reasons), snippets of information for cultural reasons, etc.

If you are researching this topic, you should really be reading research books and journals. See what JALT.org has on The Language Teacher (you won't be able to access all the information, maybe stuff older than 2-years-old) and get some books from ELT publishers. Cambridge University Press has some good ones for your project.