recgonize advantages and disadvantages of CALL

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Yu-Ping Liao

recgonize advantages and disadvantages of CALL

Post by Yu-Ping Liao » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:58 pm

With the newly developed computer technology, computer technology plays an inevitable role in every day life, including educational areas. A number of research projects indicate that computer technology has become an influential element in ESL/EFL learning environment.
Fortunately, advantages and disadvantages of using computer technology adoption in ESL/EFL classrooms are carefully examined and reported by a number of researchers in recent years. Those research projects share the same ultimate goal: Teachers have to recognize advantages and disadvantages of using computer technology in order to successfully select the most helpful technology as an assistive aid in their language teaching.

MegCast

Post by MegCast » Tue May 29, 2012 12:17 pm

I agree that CALL can be a very effective tool in the language classroom. However, I think the important thing that teachers need to be mindful of, is relying too heavily on computers and believing that they will miraculously create a successful student. I like that you referred to computer technology as an “assistive aid” in language teaching, because I think that is how it should be utilized. I have read in Teaching by Principles that lessons should not be designed solely for the purpose of fitting the technology that is available. Teachers who wish to use computer instruction should make sure they keep the lesson objective in mind and use computers to enhance those specific goals. When CALL is used appropriately it can offer many benefits to classroom instruction that otherwise might be missed.

mlordon

CALL

Post by mlordon » Tue May 29, 2012 2:23 pm

There seems to be a lot of debate as to the advantages and disadvantages of CALL in ELL classrooms, but an important point is missing. We live in an age where technology changes from week to week and if our second language students are going to successfully compete with their native English speaking classmates, they need as much exposure to technology as the school allows.

Many ELL's have little or no access to technology at home, so it is our job as teachers to ensure they have enough exposure to it at school.

In addition to using document imaging, computer websites and smart boards, consider allowing students computer time after school to aid them in homework or class projects that should be done on a computer.

Don't forget, it is our job to keep up with technology for them.

Bethany.Blaine

Post by Bethany.Blaine » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 am

I have to agree with mlordon's point that technology is changing at a ridiculously fast pace. So fast it seems impossible to be able to keep up. Is it possible to ensure ELL's exposure to technology? As everyone knows, new technology is not cheap. Suppose you're teaching ESL in a school where there is limited technology. What's the best solution to the lack of software available for your students? Are there other options besides the use of technology?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 am

Check with your local school board for used computers. Even really old ones can give them the experience of using a computer and learning to keyboard. The school board computer office often has tons of old programs that were designed for educational purposes and are easily learned and used. I had Mac Classics with just six pull down instructions and even my Adult Literacy students could learn to use those. There were excellent programs from phonics to keyboarding with sound, reading stories and so on. We used the Autoskills program a lot and there were others for spelling practice with games and on and on. The schools have moved on and gotten up-to-date computers but I bet there is a warehouse of older ones or a business will donate its old ones. All the students loved the games. It gave me time to work with students one on one while two students worked on the computers. I think we had five. It is great for keeping records and doing lesson plans as well and your teaching journal.

ginawirth

Post by ginawirth » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Keeping up with the latest technology is a full time job. If your school has a good technology leader on staff you will find that person most helpful. Younger studente(Elem. Ed.) love to work on the computers. The students see it as a treat! Administration needs to be informed of the advantages technology plays in your class. Some school leaders might view the students as "playing" on the computers. I found that it is an excellent idea to invite the administration to see the interactive language technology that is available in you class. Once they see the great advantages of the latest programs they will be hooked too. We need to not only show the students how wonderful technology can be we need to let our fellow teachers and administrators know too.