Podcasts in the classroom

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

delivronra

Podcasts in the classroom

Post by delivronra » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 pm

Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on the best practices for using podcasts in the ESL classroom or as a language lab?

iLearner.eu

Re: Podcasts in the classroom

Post by iLearner.eu » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:27 pm

delivronra wrote:Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on the best practices for using podcasts in the ESL classroom or as a language lab?
Your learners can record their own podcasts and put them on the web.

abimosk

No Mess Music

Post by abimosk » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 am

Even the simplest form can be the most useful:

Instead of fumbling with wires and CDs when using music in the classroom, a podcast is the 'cleanest' way of presenting audio to students.

Matty

Post by Matty » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:18 am

You can do a lot worse than the Beeb. Learning English with aunty!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... ndex.shtml

Macavity

Post by Macavity » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 pm

I'll second that! The BBC has an enormous range of podcasts available; audio and video. I use them and my students don't fall asleep whilst listening/watching, which is encouraging.

sparkler

Post by sparkler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:32 pm

This site http://www.podcastsinenglish.com has worksheets that go with the podcasts, including vocabulary tasks, so that all you have to do is print out the worksheets and get the students in the CALL - they do the rest themselves!

It's a great site and I use it with my students in the CALL a lot.

Julie

STCrowley

Post by STCrowley » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:53 pm

If you're willing to invest some time, I've taken podcasts in English (not about it) on topics that my students are interested in (How whiskey is made, for example) and used the free Audacity program to 'cut them up' into bite-sized chunks.

The students like hearing 'real' English, like the topic, and every podcaster I've emailed has given me permission to use his stuff.
-Toby

imkimjeng

Post by imkimjeng » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm afraid there is no best way for using Podcast in language teaching. The effect of Podcast facilitates student's learning depends on the consistency of teacher's utilization and instructional goal. That is, ways of using Podcast vary according to teaching objectives. As for listening practice, teachers select suitable materials and regulate the audio recording in normal and slow speed considering high and low achievers. The focus differs considering various needs. Emphasizing on particular word by muting some parts of sentences; stressing on grisping idea by playing Podcast repetitively. Regaring to speaking, teachers guide students to generate their own Podcast by giving a speech, delivering a self-introduction, narrating a story, and so on. Or Podcast could be used for both listening and speaking. Students are first given an audio clip without transcription (listening) and then they have to generate their own recording by imitating the given clip (speaking). Many forms of Podcast employment come out of creativity.

Carrierabbit

Post by Carrierabbit » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 am

The definition of “Podcasts”(Oxford,2005) let learners to practice listening at their own space. The self-training of listening by students themselves can make some students show better English ability.
Before you start integrating podcasting in you classroom, I suggest you make a research on the use of podcasting. The questionnaire can be as below.

Podcasting use
1. How often do you use the pod-casting program in a week? a) always , b) often, c) seldom, d) occasionally
2. How much time do you spend on listening to pod-casting at a time? a) below 30 minutes, b) 30 minutes-1 hour, c) 1-1.5 hour, d) over 1.5hour
3. What kind of instrument do you use to listen to the podcasting? a) mp4, b) computer, c) i-pod, d) others: ________________
4. How do you think the rate of speaking : a) very fast, b) fast, c) average, d) slow, e) very slow, f) other (specify)
5. How many times have you listened to a podcast for the complete understanding?
(tick the answer you agree with: a) once, b) twice, c) 3 times, d) other (specify).
6. How do you evaluate your ability to understand authentic speech? (tick the answer you agree with): a) excellent, b) very good, c) good, d) satisfactory, e) poor, f) other (specify).
Teachers can use different on-line podcasting to facilitate students’ learning. Also, students have their own electronic instruments which can be the resource of English learning. However, you have to understand what resources your students have used. The better way of using podcasting in classroom is to recommend several websites with providing podcasting (You, as a teacher, have to be familiar with these websites) and choose one as the main resource in you class. You can make preplanned lesson plan to state what you are going to guide your students and discuss with other teachers.