Computer Use Lessons for ESL Students

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cassiemoun

Computer Use Lessons for ESL Students

Post by cassiemoun » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:47 am

Hello. I am the technology lab instructor for our Adult School's ESL computer lab. We make our own lessons and use parts of lessons we have found from various sources (changing them a bit to fit our students needs) to teach ESL students about computers and the internet.

The lessons are for all levels (pre-lit to advanced), though of course, they may need to be changed to fit your particular student's proficiency levels.

So far, we have 10 lessons -
1. computer vocabulary
2. Using the Mouse
3. Turning Computer On and Off and Opening and closing programs
4. Working with Windows (Minimize, Maximize, Resize, Restore, Moving)
5. Internet Basics (Go Back, Go Forward, Web Page address, Refresh)
6. Creating an Email Account and Using Email
7. Review Exam to test stds. knowledge of lessons 1-6
8. Searching the Internet
9. EL Civics Objectives; DMV and Consumer Complaints
10. Becoming familiar with the keyboard and typing

And we are presently working on lessons 11-13 all on Microsoft Word.

Each lesson includes a lesson plan and students handouts and worksheets.

If you are interested in receiving copies of these lessons, I will be happy to send them to you. Please email me and I will give you my address so that you can send me a prepaid USPS Priority Mail envelope ($3.85)

Or you can just send me the $3.85 priority mail stamp, and I will put it on the envelope for you. :)

I will put the lessons in that envelope and mail it back to you ASAP.

I know that we have put lots of hard work into creating these lessons and would love other teachers and students, outside of our school, to benefit from them as well.

Sincerely,
Cassie Moungey
(email: [email protected])

sita

Post by sita » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:07 pm

Hi!

That sounds really good :!:

Can't you put it online :?:

Best wishes

Siân

cassiemoun

Post by cassiemoun » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:16 pm

I can put large parts of the lessons online, but there are many pictures cut and pasted (In real life cut and pasted!) and we don't have a scanner, so the lessons would be missing some pictures (which really help the lower levels since they do better with visuals.)

-Cassie