How can I create my own homepage/website?

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mr.sh

How can I create my own homepage/website?

Post by mr.sh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Does any one know of a reputable website that will allow me to create my own site? I'd like to be able to post homework, notes, schedules, etc. and would want my students to be able to easily navigate the site. I'm not too savvy when it comes to creating web pages and adding links, so a site that is user friendly would be very helpful. Thanks for the assitance.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 pm

Do you work for a school system/college that has a website? If so, they sometimes have assistance.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 pm

Hmm you might also want to consider a blog.

Karenne

Post by Karenne » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi, the best thing would be a blog - for something simple you can use blogger and wordpress which are both free

or you can check out Edublogger - which have a fee but provide lots of features.

Alternatively look into creating a Ning which will give you many, many features and students can write their own blogs, add videos and talk to each other.

Hope that helps!

Karenne

EFLUndercover

Post by EFLUndercover » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:04 pm

To create a free website go to www.yola.com

PikiFriends

TR Workbench

Post by PikiFriends » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 am

I have nothing to do with the makers of the site, but as a teacher I am blown away by this tool and the possiblities. Go to the homepage and watch the video, you can make your own site and lots more.

www.trworkbench.com

danielwelsch

Post by danielwelsch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 pm

I have a blog on tumblr.com

It's a service that's great for people who don't understand a lot about the web, and who don't want to learn html (like me).

You can check it out to get an idea. http://madridingles.es
(I bought the domain... but the host is tumblr.com. Take a look.)
Daniel.

Iga

Post by Iga » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Google site is free for website construction.
It's user-friendly to create or put text-, audio-, and video-based materials on the site. So, teachers are easily to display home assignment, announcement, worksheets, video clips, and so on at Google site.

https://sites.google.com/site/jiglish
This is the website created by me and my peer for a project.

Carrierabbit

Post by Carrierabbit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm

I started managing my own site with google site. As proposed in the previous posts, “google site” is surely your best choice. When you create your own site, you can choose the basic or advanced site you are going to manage. Also, google site provides patterns of what a site includes originally. You can refer to these patterns to regulate what you intend to add in your own site. One advantage in google site is that you can undo the procedures that you feel regretful. However, some other sites can also be good resources to make your own site. But I strongly recommend you to build your confidence in creating sites firstly in google site. I used to be afraid of these technology things because I am not good at using on-line resources. Managing my googlesite helps me a lot not only to build up my confidence but also to make it as my records of teaching experience. Wish you luck!

MegCast

Post by MegCast » Tue May 29, 2012 1:10 am

I love the idea of having a website for your students. I just read about a similar idea that suggests having students become involved in creating a class website. Since students would be the ones creating the material that gets posted, not only would the site showcase their individual personalities, but also instill a sense of pride in seeing a webpage that they created! The site can include their own biographies along with photos or graphics that help express who they are. There is no limit to the number of projects you could come up with for students to research and share on the website. I think it could become a very creative process that the whole class can collaboratively work on. Students will gain a great deal of computer experience and utilize the language as they work to find information for stories, interviews, reviews or any topic.

ronaldi2008

Post by ronaldi2008 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/52englishfreaks/

sites.google.com is free and good enough. Go for it!

or you can also make us of blog http://52englishfreaks.blogspot.com/ like I do.