Job Satisfaction - Teaching ESL in U.S. public schools

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

phoffy

Job Satisfaction - Teaching ESL in U.S. public schools

Post by phoffy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:22 pm

Are there any teachers out there who can give me feedback about teaching ESL at U.S. public schools? Job satisfaction, employment, workload, etc. I'm specifically talking about TESOL master's folks, not overseas ed. Thanks!

uskteacher

Happy with my job

Post by uskteacher » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:43 am

:D I am teaching kindergarten in Florida. I currently have a class of 25 five and six year olds. 12 of them speak a different language in their home, and 4 are considered limited english proficiency. In Fl. our ESOL program occurs in the regular classroom by the children's homeroom teacher. I am certified to teach K-8 and ESOL.

This has been the most rewarding position I have had in education. The children come from diverse backgrounds and bring so much richness to our classroom. I will say though, to teach the right way, it takes a LOT of prepping time; more than the 35 minutes allotted into each day.

Each school district has their own pholosophy for teaching ESOL students and arrange classes based on this and the number of students in their district - I enjoy the mix of native and non-native speakers as I feel both learn emmensly from the experience.

phoffy

thanks for the info

Post by phoffy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:21 pm

do you know people who teach ESL to high schools age kids? How long of a day, (with preparation etc.) is it for you? Thanks again.

uskteacher

Answers

Post by uskteacher » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 pm

The high school classes are from 8:25-2:40. Teachers arrive at 8:00 and stay until 3:30. In most cases, teachers will teach 5 or 6 periods of classes with one preperation period. A begining teacher salary for our district is 28,000. This amount increases for the number of years experience teaching and the level of education recieved.

Each state, each district, and each school sets their ESOL program up differently based on their specific needs. I know that some high schools have the students attend classes with English Speakers, some of these teachers may have training in ESOL. Other schools have students attend most classes with their classmates, but have one period of ESOL where the students learn the English Language and culture.

Districts and schools with just a few English Language Learners may share 1 ESOL teacher. Meaning that the teacher drives to multiple schools during the day / week.

I hope you are able to eventually connect with a HS ESOl teacher - Good Luck!

rusmeister

Post by rusmeister » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:55 pm

I taught high school ESL for a few years in the States before finally leaving for private practice abroad.
There are many serious problems in public schools. I learned that John T. Gatto is not a quack. But to be specific to high school ESL, districts by and large don't care if the kids ever learn. They're already considered as future employees of the local car washes and fast-food joints.
From the kids side, a lot of them don't want to be there. They were ripped out of their homes, from their friends and neighbors, by parents hoping for a better economic life. Many don't want to learn English at all. (Some do. They provide the occasional reward on the job.) I had some really good kids. But ESL in the states is a second-class profession, unlike Europe, where they are seen as professionals. I suppose this is because in European schools serious well-educated people learn English, whereas in the states, it's immigrants and refugees.

azuolan

Post by azuolan » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi-
I am a certified ESL teacher with a Masters in TESOL. I am teaching in NJ in a small district. I go to 4 schools daily starting at the High School, Middle School, Intermediate School, and finally the Elementary School. What makes my job manageable is that I only have 15 students- total. The kids are wonderful. They want to learn and are very respectful. However, being an ESL teacher is not an easy job. There is a lot of planning involved and the job I have now, I am constantly on the move and I'm kinda isolated from the other teachers.

My first job teaching ESL was in New York - Flushing. In Flushing, I was at one school - a middle school - and taught 5 periods a day. Again, the kids were great! But ESL is looked down upon as not really teaching the kids anything. I also did not have my own classroom but had to travel from classroom to classroom.

phoffy

Hey

Post by phoffy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info. Are you considered a full-time teacher in your capacity in NJ? Meaning, normal salary and benefits? Can you get involved in any other school activities, extra-curriculars etc.?

regards,

phoffy

azuolan

Post by azuolan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:13 pm

Yes, I am a full-time teacher with paid vacations, etc. I can get involved in after school activities. However, since my day begins early at the High School (7:20) and ends later at the Elementary School (3:00), I'm usually too tired. Also, the HS activities begin at 2:20 and I'm at the Elementary School during that time.