a diff. forum for US public school ESL elem. teachers?

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

chinagirl

a diff. forum for US public school ESL elem. teachers?

Post by chinagirl » Tue May 13, 2003 4:12 pm

I've noticed that many of the issues on these boards are more applicable to EFL teachers, many who are facing different issues than certified public school ESL teachers. Maybe a separate board for certified ESL teachers would be in order (that is, for people teaching in school districts in the US.)

Just a thought. :wink:

chinagirl

AgathiP04

different forum

Post by AgathiP04 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:06 am

I agree, much discussion is more applicable to EFL teaching, mostly to those who teach children whom speak one language from one country. My students are from 30 different countries, right here in my midwestern city! What is your public school job like?

chinagirl

my school

Post by chinagirl » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:18 pm

The school I'm helping at at the moment has a large ESL population from Latin America, Asia and the middle East, with a smattering from African and Baltic states.

There are 3 ESL teachers who pull out for half of the day, and go into the classroom for the other half.

I am volunteering at this school while I work on my Master's and cert in ESL K-12.

The challenges at this school are quite different from anyplace I taught overseas, with mostly monolingual populations. We have rigorous state standards to match, and high stakes testing for our fourth graders. Plus, we have to deal with the non-ESL populations in this (urban) school with many challenges. Bus duty, anyone? <grin>

I should mention that in an earlier post, I said "public school teachers in the US." That was rather narrow-minded of me. I meant to say all ESL teachers that work in public schools, period.