SIOP lesson model

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

soesch

SIOP lesson model

Post by soesch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 am

I am currently a student at Arcadia University, in Pennsylvania. I am an Elementary Education major and am taking my first ESL class this semester. In my class we are learning to write lessons for ELLs using the SIOP (The Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) Model. I find it valuable in order to make sure I include all the effective strategies, which should be used with ELLs. In the ESL class I am observing however, the teacher does not use the SIOP model. I was curious as to how many teachers currently use this model while teaching and if any districts require it? If so, as a teacher, do you find it helpful to organize your lesson?

amytrabs

siop

Post by amytrabs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi, I know this response is a little late, but I wish someone had responded to your post. I have experience using the SIOP model in college classes, I have not yet used it in an actual classroom. I wonder if your professors have introduced you to CALLA also, because in my ESL program we have been shown how to use both the CALLA and SIOP templates to create lessons. I would be curious to see if actual ESL teachers use any of these templates and which one they actually prefer, if any. I agree with you that SIOP is great in that it helps you include important strategies and techniques. I am starting my practicum next week and I was told my by supervisor that the ESL teacher may laugh in my face when she sees the CALLA/SIOP templates b/c most teachers just jot down a few notes and that is their lesson plan. Any responses from current ESL teachers on these templates would be appreciated.