Sentence diagramming for Japanese students.

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

geordie

Using colours for participants,processes etc.

Post by geordie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:50 am

Hi Natastar,
Thank you for your reply. Actually I have had lots of correspondence with Sally Olsen but I don't think I have actually come across anything with such detail as the one you posted. Thanks!
In the last six months I have tried several different approaches similar to the one you mentioned and it seems to work well. I work with adults and I have to disguise the idea I am giving grammar instruction. Conversation and laughs are the order of the day here. Grammar has been given a dirty name probably because of the continuing anti-grammar stance in most English speaking countries. Are you actually implementing any of the functional grammar methods. Are you also a Derewianka/Halliday/Systemic Functional Linguistics/functional grammar enthusiast?

John Curran in Tokyo

natastar

Post by natastar » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Hello John,

I'm too inexperienced to be enthusiastic about much more than teaching, really. I've just started my second year, children and adults in Spain. I'm doing my best to learn more all the time and read the posts in these forums with interest. If I have a more intelligent reply to you anytime soon I'll let you know.

Thanks for your reply, Natasha