ELL Parent Participation at School

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Patty Schuler

ELL Parent Participation at School

Post by Patty Schuler » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Do your ELL parents come to PTO meetings? Are they active in your school community? Do they attend class trips and school parties? Do you have ways to encourage participation?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 pm

It is always a struggle because the parents often feel as left out of social and academic meetings as the kids do. They are as afraid to show off their limited English skills and are often left out because they don't understand or aren't able to make themselves understood. It takes some really understanding parents to include them and of course, school staff to go the extra mile. There is often outright hostility if there are too many ELL students and some parents think those students are holding their children back because the teacher/staff have to spend extra time with them. These are all issues that have to be dealt with by caring and compassionate people. It just takes a few to turn the tide around. Find them in your school.

JDRRowan

Post by JDRRowan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

We have Parental Involvements in our school once a month. The parents come into the classroom to do various activities each month. The more that the parents come in; the more comfortable they are to attend events like this and also, events like parent and teacher conferences. I try to send notes home two weeks ahead of the date to invite parents in. I feel that the most important element to getting the parents into your classroom is by making an impact at the initial meeting. I make a big deal at “Open House” and make all the parents feel welcomed. There is a ton ideas out there; here is an article on some: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/pr ... v124.shtml

arp10

Post by arp10 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 am

I try to involve the student's parents as much as possible in the various activities we do throughout the school year. I send reminders home for back to school night and parent teacher conferences. I also invite their parents twice during the year for story time. At this time the parents can listen to their children read and also look at their writing. I always try to have something light to eat, that always seems to get my parents to come!

cencarnacion

ELL Parents

Post by cencarnacion » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:38 am

I communicate with my students' parents often because the majority come to the school in the morning and at dismissal; constant communication has made possible participation in activities and attendance to parents/teachers meetings. I appreciate very much the level of interest they demonstrate and the responses I receive from them, along with their volunteer services whenever I approach them with a request.

1st.gr.teach

ELL parent involvement

Post by 1st.gr.teach » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm

The parents of my ELLs have not been active in our school or my classroom as yet. I understand that it would be difficult for them for a few reasons. The language barrier may make them uncomfortable, or they may feel that it would not help for them to interact if they do not comprehend what is happening or the topic being discussed. They work long hours at minimum wage jobs, any time away from work would be costing them potential income. My students are young. As my students age, I hope the parents are able to learn English, if they wish, and feel comfortable participating in school functions.

Roque

Post by Roque » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Unless there’s a special activity it’s really hard to get parent to participate, as English is not perceived as one of the important school subjects (here in Quebec). Often parents concentrate their efforts on “main subjects” and neglect English. Unless there’s a special event or class activity, parents mostly interact with their child’s teacher and neglect music, English, art, etc., teachers.

wenrodriguez

Post by wenrodriguez » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:23 am

ELL parents are the most active parents at my school. They have highest attendance for report cards and parent nights. It is up to the teacher to make parents welcome. Also if flyers are written in Spanish, if meetings have a translator. Also having a parent coordinator that is bilingual is very helpful. At my school we have all these things.

sunflower03

Post by sunflower03 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:23 am

Many parents of ELL's are timid about speaking the English language. They feel inferior to speakers of the English language and are often embarrassed to ask questions and seek advice. We currently offer an Adult ELL class in our school district from 3:30-5:00. Parents and their children come to learn the English language, learn strategies to help their child at home and in computer skills and much more. I can see that the parents that attend this workshop feel more comfortable at speaking and asking questions. They often participate and attend teacher conferences. However, we would like to see more parents of ELL's involved, but sometimes their schedule does not allow.

eslwendy

Parent Participation

Post by eslwendy » Sat May 12, 2012 6:58 pm

A good way to get ELL parents involved is to start small. Invite them into your classroom to teach your class something about their native country with their child. Even if they can't speak English well themselves, they would see that their own culture offers value to the classroom. Another idea if your time and district allow is an after-school family literacy session. It would help their language skills, and make them like a part of their child's education. Maybe as their comfort levels grow, they would be less apprehensive about coming to the school for other events.