Teachers need flexibility

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lee115

Teachers need flexibility

Post by lee115 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm

We are taught that one of the traits of an effective teacher is flexibility. However, restricting the use of a student's native language in class does not allow a teacher to adjust her lesson. If she can not use a student's L1, how can she help him "get it" when he is lost on a concept? Such a policy seems to set the teacher and student up for failure.

jetar

Post by jetar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Actually, I agree that effective teachers are flexible teachers. But I do not think that we have the same definition of flexibility. For me, to be flexible is for instance to be able to adapt your teaching regarding your students' interests, resources available, or dealing with unexpected events.

Regarding restriction of the students' native language in the classroom, I do not think that it restricts the teacher's adaptation of a lesson, and I do not think that it prevents the students from understanding something in English. This is, I think, exactly where the teacher's role applies: this is our job to find strategies such as the use of visuals, gestures, reformulation, cognates, etc., to get the students to understand using only English.

Furthermore, I think that always resorting to translation (or to the students' L1) makes the students lazy. If the students know that you will always translate in their L1 if they do not understand, they will not make efforts and they will wait for your translation. Moreover, I think that using the students' L1 also prevent them from meaningful English input.

I think that it is this method (resorting to students' L1) that leads the teacher and the students to failure, not the use of only English in the classroom.

1st.gr.teach

Post by 1st.gr.teach » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 am

These are some ways to help a student "get it":
  • Show pictures of what you are talking about
    Show realia, real objects when possible
    Act out what you are trying to convey
    Model your expectations (show acceptable and unacceptable behavior, show examples of corrrect and incorrect work or procedures)
    Enlist the help of the other students (sometimes kids can connect better with each other than an adult can with a student)
    Get advice from other teachers
    Enlist the help of the parents (they may know what you and the child need)
Lastly, keep trying- try them all. If they are not getting it today, it does not mean that they will not get it tomorrow. Sometimes students need multiple exposures before they learn something.
Good luck! :wink: