Lessons for kids

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Elisayim

Lessons for kids

Post by Elisayim » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 am

Hello all.

I'm a beginner in this teaching field, and I might get a job (finally!) as a teacher in one very respectable and big school. I'm living in a country where people don't usually have very good English language skills and I'm not native speaker myself either, but I claim to have better English than many locals I have met!

Anyway. I might have some lessons for kids next week, if things go nicely and I'm already terrified. Since I have no experience on teaching, I can only read about teaching methods and gather material from websites etc, but they are not the same as a real teaching experience. My biggest fear is, that they would test me in that school, for example just kicking me in the classroom with the noisy children and tell me to teach them for an hour. I'm pretty sure that school wouldn't handle things like that, but I'm afraid of the first moments when I feel that I don't know what to do in the beginning and how to manage the class..

I'm just wondering what information I should ask about the class, like how old they are, how many there are, what do they know so far, do they use books or some materials that teachers need to develop themselves..? What else is useful to know? I know that there are lots of games for kids to learn English, but what about some good websites that would give useful teaching materials for classes, like those that you can print out and use?

Thank you in advance.

mesmark

Re: Lessons for kids

Post by mesmark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 am

Elisayim wrote:... what about some good websites that would give useful teaching materials for classes, like those that you can print out and use? ...
Here are a couple sites that might be helpful:

MES English - flashcards, games, handouts, worksheets, projects, phonics materials for kid's classes

Phonics Worksheets - printable workbooks, individual worksheets, and online phonics games for kids

Tools for Educators - vocabulary worksheet makers with images, crossword maker, printable puzzles, board games, etc.

printable certificate templates for kids - over 1,000 templates you can use to print personalized certificates for your students

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Scary isn't it? But you have the advantage of being in school yourself for 16 or more years and know what is done to teachers so can be on the look out and catch them before they do it. You remember what teachers you liked and if you really think about it, what it was that made them likable. They probably loved their subject, were really enthusiastic about passing it on to their students and liked people. The students no matter what age are individual people with various needs and wishes and you just have to get to know them and respect them and they will do the same to you.

Try to a get a seating plan so you will be able to put names to faces as quickly as possible. Nothing stops kids like calling their name and nothing pleases a kid than his teacher knowing he/she is an individual.

You will want to plan 10 more activities than you will need because some won't work, some will be done so quickly and some won't fit with their level no matter what you do.

If a class gets out of hand, turn off the lights and get them to put their heads down on the desk until you are calm. Or sing everything you have to tell them. Or get them to sit on the floor for awhile until they can behave. Ask your supervisor to drop in several times during the first few days and if the kids are misbehaving, have the supervisor give them the "lets work as a team and help the new teacher" speech. Point out the kids who are actually doing this. Have the supervisor touch the kids on the shoulder who are not helping.

Talk to individual kids during breaks. Volunteer for supervision on the playground and get to the know the kids. Hang around after school and talk to them.

Smile. Enjoy yourself. You are getting paid for what you love to do.

Jean Chen

lessons for kids

Post by Jean Chen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:07 pm

I remembered my first time teaching on the stage, I was nervous and scared. Yet, there is a very important thing, no matter how terrified you are. Remember to show your confidence in teaching and make eye contact with the students. Clear instructions are very important when you are teaching young learners. I think getting all the students names that you are going to teach in advance would help you a lot. You will get some name to call when no body answer your questions. This could save you from some embarrassing moments in teaching. Here is a useful website: http://www.kizclub.com/index.html. It provides many useful and printable teaching resources. Good luck in your teaching.