Ideas about my personal teaching theories/methods

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

halsto64

Ideas about my personal teaching theories/methods

Post by halsto64 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Designing your instruction and developing a theory/method of instruction for teaching ESL is a difficult task. There are so many positive aspects to many of the methods employed since the early 1900s. Though research has discounted many of the earlier practices, they still, in my opinion, have aspects that are necessary. It seems logical that the best option would be to take from each method parts that you agree with. However, this also causes a teacher to have a haphazard method to teaching with no real research to support the method exactly as it had been created. I would definitely include portions that address students linguistic needs and factors , socioaffective factors (such as student's need for confidence and feel acquisition of the language is important) and cognitive factors that include direct language instruction as well as practical instruction that would increase their intrinsic motivation to learn the language.