tests

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sunflower03

tests

Post by sunflower03 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Many students and even educators cringe at the thought of tests. Most of their assessments of students rely heavily on standardized tests such as NJASK, NWEA, and criterion referenced tests. These tests play a significant responsibility on teachers. However, are these tests such as the NJASK authentic and valid tests for ELL’s? In addition, many teachers test students, but do not offer appropriate wash back or feedback as they feel they do not have the time to do so. How are students supposed to know what they did well and what they did wrong if we do not provide constructive feedback? In my ESL class, my assessments of students are informal during classroom tasks to elicit performance. Maybe educators can step back and take a longer look at their tests and how they are assessing their students.

ginawirth

tests

Post by ginawirth » Mon May 21, 2012 6:23 pm

This is a rough time of year for teachers. I think it is so unfair that our ESL students are expected to take and pass the state test with little more than a dictionary to help the student translate. The students hardly know the language. In the spring they are expected to take and demonstrate proficiency on the state exam. It is so painful to watch a student struggle with the exam and try to keep them motivated at the same time. There must be a better way to test and assess the ESL student for the state without delivering the additional stress. I know that the stste tests are necessary and serve a purpose but I think we need to find a better way!