Teaching multiple proficiency levels in the same class

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Madeline

Teaching multiple proficiency levels in the same class

Post by Madeline » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:54 pm

There are different proficiency levels among students in the same class. I don't want to overwhelm the lower level students but then again I don't want it to seem to easy for the higher level students. It is very challenging for me as a new ESL teacher. The challenge is writing lesson plans for the 3 different levels. I know it takes practice and more experience to get the hang of this and hope to one day be an expert in this area. Any suggestions or books that I can read on just lesson planning for three different levels?

ginawirth

Post by ginawirth » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 am

Try having learning centers in your class. When you have different proficiencies in the same room, centers can work well. For example you can have a writing center which is leveled for the students. The students can go to that center and have an activity that is specified for their level( i.e., students on lower levels can draw the weekly spelling words, intermediate level students can write a sentence and the more advanced students can write a story using the words). The same principal can be applied to any subject area. The student center time allows the teacher time to circulate among the working students to observe and conference with the students as they work. Students like to monitor and observe their own progress. As they become more proficient the students move toward the more difficult tasks within the given centers.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 am