New teacher needs help

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

becca

New teacher needs help

Post by becca » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:22 pm

I was an elementary teacher before taking the necessary classes to become certified for ESL. That was a before my children were born and now I'm returning to work as an ESL teacher. At my last interview, I was asked what I would do specifically to support a classroom teacher (this is public school with a pull out program for ESL). I answered with some very general ideas such as pulling any necessary info for units they were working on and working on their self esteem, but I didn't really feel like I had strong specific instructions. All my coursework was 6-7 years ago and I could use some suggestions. Thanks.
Becca

dduck

New teacher needs help

Post by dduck » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:50 pm

I get the impression you're feeling a bit out of touch, and perhaps lacking some of the self-confidence you had when you were an elementary teacher. I think interviewers will pick up this "vibe" very quickly, so it's not just a matter of what you say but also how you say it. Practise sounding confident and people will let themselves be persuaded :)

I'm not exactly clear what role you were applying for. You said you're going to be a ESL teacher, working with a classroom teacher, but if you're being asked to offer support this sounds to me more like a classroom assistant. Sorry, but I'm a little confused!

In which part of the world are you applying, by the way?

Iain

becca

Post by becca » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:15 pm

Hi Iain,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. In the US, many elementary schools have "pull out" programs for ESL students. The children are with their classroom teacher for most of the day, but are taken out for approximately 45 minutes each day to work with an ESL teacher. I was applying for such a job. The question that was posed to me about supporting the classroom teacher is more about what suggestions I might have to help that teacher better work with these children. I'm suppose to be the "expert" offering advice. For example, my mother is an ESL volunteer and she was told to talk at a normal pace and not to slow her speech which is a common mistake. I don't remember that from my studies.

I don't think my confidence is the issue since I have a graduate degree (only a BA is needed) and more ESL credits than I need. I'm going to a job fair on 3/3 and I want to be well prepared. Thanks for your help. BTW, I work in the Atlanta, Georgia area of the USA.

Becca

dduck

Post by dduck » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:01 am

At my last interview, I was asked what I would do specifically to support a classroom teacher (this is public school with a pull out program for ESL).
Perhaps, these are of interest:

http://www.onestopenglish.com/News/Maga ... animal.htm
http://www.oup.com/elt/global/catalogue ... glearners/

Iain

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:52 am

becca wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. In the US, many elementary schools have "pull out" programs for ESL students. The children are with their classroom teacher for most of the day, but are taken out for approximately 45 minutes each day to work with an ESL teacher. I was applying for such a job. The question that was posed to me about supporting the classroom teacher is more about what suggestions I might have to help that teacher better work with these children. I'm suppose to be the "expert" offering advice. For example, my mother is an ESL volunteer and she was told to talk at a normal pace and not to slow her speech which is a common mistake. I don't remember that from my studies.

Becca
Hi Becca,
You could help the classroom teacher by helping the kids improve their English language and reading skills. Helping them to learn and increase their vocabulary would help. If the classroom teacher is teaching science, you could help the ESL kids learn and use some of the science vocabulary words that they are likely to encounter in their lessons with the classroom teacher. I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Diana