Do you teach ESL or EFL at a public or private school?

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

1. I teach ESL in a public school
No votes
2. I teach ESL in a private school... (or tutor privately)
33%
3. I teach EFL in a public school
No votes
4. I teach EFL in a private school... (or I tutor privately)
67%

Total votes: 3

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm trying to get a sense for the users of this forum. It seems the majority of you teach ESL in public schools. I may be the exception as I teach EFL primary students in a non-English speaking country and hardly ever in public schools.

I find this forum helpful in terms of getting a sense for the ESL world. Although I started a B.Ed 2 yrs ago, I know very little about current ESL instruction in schools is carried out and what resources teachers have at their disposal

longshikong

Post by longshikong » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm

What?!?! 102 views but no responses?!?

Someone, pllleeeeaaaassssssssseee tell me what option I left out?!?!

Darya

Teaching in Hagwon in Korea

Post by Darya » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 am

I just started teaching English in a Hagwon in Korea, this is the most popular kind of private school in Korea now I think.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:07 am

I have had about 16 different jobs so your poll only allows me to choose one and yet I have done all four.

Our schools have been losing ESL classes and now have withdrawl programs and some are run by parent volunteers. We have lots of resources as we teach in the library and can borrow what the teachers use. I often use French resources as in Canada we have French classes for all the children as FSL. There are videos, picture books, picture dictionaries, flashcards, games, and access to computers. I often use things the children are collecting or playing with from Bay Blades to Pokemon cards to Polly Pocket dolls. I like the students to make their own books and use a digital camera to set the scenes for the stories they tell. We even have suggested handouts from our co-ordinator. We can talk to the special ed teacher if we have concerns. We get a lot of recognition for our volunteer work with a breakfast once a year and constant encouragement from the teachers. Of course, the best reward is seeing the children progress.