ESL/ELT activities which are effective with boys, esp ES/MS

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

SSB

ESL/ELT activities which are effective with boys, esp ES/MS

Post by SSB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Does anyone have tried and true activities which work really well with boys? At this age especially, they are not the same as girls in their approaches to learning ...(!!) So, apart from running around in a pirates-type game, what other activities can you suggest which do well?

sawlor29

Teaching Boys

Post by sawlor29 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:31 am

Hi,

I had a class of all boys years ago (around 12 students, grade 6 and 7). The private academy I worked were really only concerned about keeping students and not really about teaching them. This of course can made it more difficult for the teachers.

To keep them engaged and learning, I did the following:

1. found out what English TV shows, movies and videos they like to watch (they didn't watch most in English, but it was a starting point to learn what they were interested in)

2. I then found short youtube clips of their suggestions and built my lesson around the video clips.

3. I added to their ideas by searching what other students their age from English speaking countries were watching.

This worked great, HOWEVER, I taught 3 or 4 classes that I could use the same lesson with, so the time I had to put into creating the lesson balanced out.

I have worked at other English academies where this would not have been possible because I was teaching 7 different classes a day and there just would not have been enough time to prep this. Also, your school/academy owner needs to be on board with the idea. Some owners/schools just want you to focus on the book.

Unfortunately, i don't have these materials anymore as it was 10 years ago. I do have a website that has a couple of lessons that may help you. My site focuses on providing lessons around youtube clips for adult ESL learners, however, there are 2 lessons that use animation movies (KungFu Panda-V4 and The Incredibles-V7). There is a PDF printout of the lesson and audio you can use.

http://www.ssecoach.com/

Hope this can help!

Robbie
www.SSEcoach.com