PNET versus NET

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

seachange

PNET versus NET

Post by seachange » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:10 am

I have just been offered a PNET position in Hong Kong. It is also possible that I will be offered a Secondary Net job soon. Which one should I take and why??? Feedback from people involved in either would be most appreciated.
Thankyou

CorriePaeglow

Post by CorriePaeglow » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:53 am

Hi,

I am currently a PNET in Hong Kong, so I will try to shed some light. There are a few differences between a PNET and secondary NET job. Of course, is you work w/secondary kids they'll speak more English, which will make your life easier. However, there have been reports of teachers having to deal with violence in secondary schools, which you won't have to deal with in a primary school. Primary teachers are required to work every other Saturday, while secondary teachers don't work Saturdays. Other than that, I think the holidays are the same. Also, PNET's work at 2 schools. If you're lucky they'll be in the same building, but they may not be. This can lead to serious problems if there isn't great communication between the schools.

Other than that, it's important to know that the NET program for secondary is more developed. If you go to a secondary school they will probably have a good idea of what they want you to do. Primary schools, however, have just gotten NET's, so it's likely that you will be the first at your school, and they may not know what to do with you. (that's my case, and also why I have time to write such a long post here :-) Overall, I think that I would definitely take a secondary job over a primary.

Let me know if I can be of more help to you. Good luck!