One on one ....everyday

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

monseul

One on one ....everyday

Post by monseul » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 am

Hi All,

I have a 4th grade girl that I need to teach everyday till the end of the month. Her English is pretty good. Needs help on advanced grammar and pronunciation. And, she's kind of a problem child as far as always pouting and not paying attention.

Honestly, I'm used to teaching university students...so this is a little out of my league.

Any suggestions as to what I can do with her on a daily basis to keep her interested, but learning at the same time?

Cheers~

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Well have u tried to convince her that English is fun, interesting and useful in her everyday life?

Make ur lesson a game for her and the first thing u assign to her is to make a project on where she can find English in her everyday life (e.g. signs, internet, games etc).

Use simulation techniques, authentic material like videos, films and stories.

Teach vocabulary through crossword puzzles.

Sign her project work based on her interests.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:17 am

I'm just curious (being a rather old fuddy-duddy I think). How come you chose to use "u" and "ur" in your post? In general, I find I have a great aversion to those, and don't understand why you would use them in a post that seemed so sensible and educated otherwise. Sigh. Maybe it's only me.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:32 pm

This is the code of communicating in chat rooms, forums etc.

In our job it is crucial to keep updated and use the new means of communication.

So a well educated teacher and person knows how to communicate through the internet.

It would be helpful to learn some internet abbreviations cause ur students would like to communicate in English through the new technology. It is part of the experiential and communicative model of teaching that i strongly recommend.

So don't lose the forest cause of a tree.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Sorry MT interference.
Don't miss the forest for the tree.

Again sorry.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:44 am

I certainly can understand using "u" or "ur" if that's what you want to do, while speaking with friends on AIM or ICQ or whatever. But in an otherwise erudite discussion, it just sticks out like a sore thumb. Oh well.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:13 am

So if u can't understand that this is the way we write on the internet, u can't understand neither ur students nor experiential learning.

I am sorry.

I use communicative teaching and i follow the experiential module in my classes and a good teacher should first follow what he/she teaches.

U r of the old school i follow whatever is modern.

And if from our communication u have noticed only 'u. ur' well ..... i am positive u follow the traditional method so that is why u miss the forest for the tree.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Pretty strong language. I didn't get the impression that Lorikeet was crticizing you in the first message, just expressing her opinion. Your message was much stronger and to me, states that she is wrong in not using Internet and cellphone abbreviations.

I am afraid that I agree with Lorikeet and don't really like it when someone can't take the time to type "you" in this forum.

I would use "u" in a text message on the phone because it saves time and money and have learned all the shortcuts.

But in this forum, I want to make sure that people understand what I say and realize that I am talking to English teachers. It is just a matter of respect.

We have had this discussion before though and I will try to find it.
If you are using cellphone language to teach you might want to try this forum
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... +shortcuts

Here is a sample of Lorikeet using abbreviations herself - very funny
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... sc&start=0

I have appreciated your messages in the past as you sound like a conscientious teacher who cares about students.

Why have you suddenly become so dogmatic about what other people should do?

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:28 pm

Strong language?
Sorry strong views yes but not language. If i sounded like that, I am sorry to both of u.

I accept criticism on my ideas or educative views but not on a correct and acceptable way of communication.

Thank u for the link.

I oppose traditional thinking and teaching and i am a Chomsky and Rogers' views supporter. I sometimes fight for modern thinking in our job and may sound offensive.

Sorry.

clio.gr

Post by clio.gr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Oh Sally i am a teacher and a philologist too.

I forgot to mention that.

All these ideas are not mine. They come from my universities studies and everyday classroom research. That is why sometimes i may sound dogmatic.

It may be wrong but it happens esp. when i am in the middle of a research.

I apologise.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Sounds fascinating. Hope your studies go well.

I have never seen a note by Chomsky or Rogers written in Internet language though and they both are great about answering emails.

shelleyvernon

answer to your question

Post by shelleyvernon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi there,

For your pouting child that you are tutoring I suggest watching the demo lesson on Home English Teacher where you can see English being taught and practised in a fun way that engages the child.

That should give you some ideas on how to go about things with children, and you never know, you may end up enjoying it more than your university students...

www.homeenglishteacher.com

Shelley