Decorating an English classroom

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

esievers

Decorating an English classroom

Post by esievers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 am

Help! I'm a new esl teacher in South Korea and my school would like me to decorate my classroom for my middle school, grades 1 and 2, (ages range from 12-14). They will give me a budget of about 50,000 won but I have to come up with some creative art ideas and start decorating by next week! Any ideas or pictures would be extremelly helpful :)

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm

The best classrooms I have seen have the children's art show cased so how about buying art supplies - lots of different sizes of paper, paints, coloured pencils, felt pens, stickers, magazines for collages, a laminating machine. Then get them to write out words to English songs, do posters for English holidays, have a Word Wall for interesting and difficult words, some posters for difficult grammar points but all done by the students.

It wouldn't hurt to buy a calendar from various English countries with nice and changing views.

clayton

Post by clayton » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:07 pm

A great source of stuff for the walls is the visitors bureau or chamber of commerce in touristy areas of English-speaking countries. Maps of London, posters of iconic US landmarks (Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Florida Keys) can all be easily be obtained from the tourism department of those areas. You could also display some of the kids' art projects either from your class or their other classes. Kids always like to see their work displayed.

clayton

Post by clayton » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:08 pm

A great source of stuff for the walls is the visitors bureau or chamber of commerce in touristy areas of English-speaking countries. Maps of London, posters of iconic US landmarks (Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Florida Keys) can all be easily be obtained from the tourism department of those areas. You could also display some of the kids' art projects either from your class or their other classes. Kids always like to see their work displayed.