English for airline staff

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kate in Toulouse

English for airline staff

Post by Kate in Toulouse » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:48 am

Hello there

I teach in Toulouse (home of Airbus), so have several students needing English for aviation, but who can't afford the very expensive specific courses (flight dispatchers, check in staff etc):?

I've found a small section of material on the English Club website, but not much else online or in book shops (there's a Macmillan book yet to be published). Any ideas for sourcing material, particularly sample texts/conversations between airline staff will be rewarded with a BIG Merci beaucoup and place in EFL heaven!

:lol:

Kate

brett74

aviation

Post by brett74 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 am

hi kate, i studied aviation english in my tesol course. I to live in toulouse and would be happy to give you this information. I would be interested in finding out a few things about tesol in toulouse and your experiences here.
Let me know what you think!

BradC

Post by BradC » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:27 pm

Search for "FAA transcripts" in Google, and you can find printed and MP3 versions of conversations between air traffic controllers and pilots. This might be useful for your students.

Kate in Toulouse

Aviation English

Post by Kate in Toulouse » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Merci mille fois Brad, very helpful indeed! :D

I can already picture you in EFL heaven where every day is a motivated student enthusiastically brandishing a copy of Headway........

Karenne

Aviation English

Post by Karenne » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Check out Macmillan's new book called Aviation English. Was recently at a teaching conference in Bonn and attended a workshop by one of the authors, seriously interesting stuff and the book is excellent.

Karenne