English for Police purposes

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jtjohnston

English for Police purposes

Post by jtjohnston » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm teaching ESP to police recruits in the Cegep system in Quebec. My students need to have a certain level of competency in the English language.

I have ready access to "material" from a police service in another province. These daily "media Reports" (below) are chocked full of necessary vocabulary and Police English in general. (Police English is almost like learning another dialect.)

To be honest, I'm running out of ideas on how to use these media reports.

I'm looking for fresh ideas. Fresh eyes.

John

------------------------------
Calls of Note:

File# 2013-1234

At 1000am on 2013-02-28 - Patrol Services arrested a fifty-three year old male in the Main Street area under an outstanding Warrant. There were a number of Breaches of Court Orders charges laid on the accused. The accused was conveyed to court.

File# 2013-1235

At approximately 1:30pm on 2013-02-28 patrol officers arrested a thirty year old female on an outstanding Canada wide arrest warrant. She was arrested in the area of High Street West and was held for court.

File # 2013-1236

At approximately 3:20 pm patrol officers responded to a business on Somewhere Ave to a report of a fraud. Police arrested two adult males from Quebec and charged them each with fraud, conspiracy, and identity theft. Both males were detained for court in the morning.