Common Errors in Medical English

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kapvijay

Common Errors in Medical English

Post by kapvijay » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 am

Is there any book for Medical Students to learn Common Errors in Medical English?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Analysis of Student′s Errors in English for Medical Purposes
wwwserver.medfak.ni.ac.rs/Acta%20Facultatis/2010/3-2010/6%20rad.pdf

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:23 am

Thank you very much Sally Olsen. I'll go through it.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:02 am

Hello Sally Olsen,
I have gone through the article which is very useful reference work for my research. Here I like to tell about my research. I have planned to analyze the sentence structure, cohesion and coherence, and the structure of the composition of final year Nursing students. It's like a holistic study. For that, I am searching some model works. I can complete my thesis very successful if you give some idea. Thanking you.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 pm

I just typed in "Common Errors in Medical English" on Google and there were a ton of papers. You can use Google Scholar as well for more detailed papers. There is a lot of research in the field so you don't want to duplicate it. I'm sure that you will find your niche though and be able to contribute to the discussion. Sounds great.

Have you heard of Systemic Functional Linguistics. They do this kind of research and it brings great practical results. I have used their ways of teaching with medical students and their English improved greatly - enough to go to Australia for their Masters - 6.5 on the TOEFL. Also Bernie Mohan has a great model of how to construct academic texts. I find it very practical as well. Of course, you have to adapt it to the medical documents but it still works.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am

Hello Sally Olsen,
Greetings. I have found two books - an introduction to functional grammar by Halliday and working with functional grammar by JR Martin et.al. from my university library. I hope i've chosen correct books. i've just started to read the books.

I give you some of mistakes which i found in their written composition.

[color=indigo][/color]1. I am studied/finished in Standard 12.
2. My native place in Tirunelvelli.
3.My aim is Msc Nursing/staff nurse/tutor.
4.My mother like is a nurse course.
5.My family members or five.
6.English language is must the future life.
7.I like service to my country people.
8.The nurses must a have a sympathy health education.
9.I'm very like the medical line.
10. I'll dry to become tutor.
11.Dinesh received a telegram in the yesterday.
12.We'll buy a computers.
13. English language is help us to go abroad without any communication barriers.

I am trying to analyze these types of errors for my research.
Thanking you with smile.

Sally Olsen

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:28 am

Those are two good books and it is Martin that is doing the most recent work. I like Beverly Deriwianka as well for practical teaching tips. There is a lot on the computer as well under Systemic Functional Linguistics as Halliday is sometimes hard to get your head around.

Those are interesting sentences and much like I have gathered over the years. Happy Hunting.

It might help to look up some papers on typical mistakes of India English.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 am

Hello Sally Olsen
I wish to share my words with you. I have gone through the books of Martin's 'working with functional grammar' and an introduction to functional grammar by Halliday. It was very difficult to understand the theory so that I'm so confused.We don't have many books on systemic functional linguistics in library or market. The theory is very new to my professor. He is also not happy with it. I have been searching some other works done in Indian scenario. I got very less. I don't know wt to do. give me your suggestions which may help me.

Sally Olsen

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Too bad about your professor . Why don't you email Halliday or Martin and ask for advice? As isaid, H and M might be hard to understand so go to the SFL website and get some help.

Otherwise there are a ton of papers on Google Scholar,