EAP: English for Academic Purposes

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

baedaebok

EAP: English for Academic Purposes

Post by baedaebok » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:27 am

Is this forum for EAP (English for Academic Purposes) issues, or is it just vocational English (as most posters are refering to)? I thought ESP covered both EAP and vocational English (VESL)?

Anyway...my question is: where can I take a teacher training course for teaching EAP? Or would CELTA cover the skills needed in teaching EAP?

mesomorph

Post by mesomorph » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 pm

You will always want to be one step ahead of your prospective students.

So look at whatever level they are and then think about taking a course that will make you more qualified than them.

It all depends on the standard of your students and how much time/money/etc you have for becoming qualified.

If they are already a high level and need the English for University purposes for example, then you would have to be on the ball.

What level of qualification are the employers looking for?

What level are the students exactly?

What exact academic purpose are they learning English for?

I haven't taken the CELTA but to me it seems like quite a good little introduction to general teaching skills.

I have a degree in English and a PGDE and when teaching for academic purposes I still always have to research all the language the pupils need to learn to make sure I am not being too general, wishy washy/rubbishy.

If they are in their last year of secondary school you could probably get away with having the same level of qualification they are going for with a CELTA and focused preparation based on their specific needs.

There are lots of books you can buy tailored to specific academic purposes, but having a general idea of how to actually teach it beforehand is necessary.

As I said it depends on their level and their precise purpose for learning the language.

Having said that a HND/BA/MA/PhD in English has never hurt anyone.

Hope that sort of helps.

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:02 am

I teach in an EAP program--basically, it's to prepare students to go into the regular English Composition (and speech) courses in a U.S. college. The CELTA is a good preparation for teaching overseas and in language schools, but you need an M.A. (mine is in German, actually) to work in colleges in the States. Subject matter for the Writing/Grammar course I teach is about the same as in Comp I: the five-paragraph essay, formal writing, researching and citing sources, organization, different types of essay (expository/analytical/persuasive/argumentative).

ossie39

Post by ossie39 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:27 pm

I think that to teach in ESP and EAP it is necessary to have additional training. After teaching EFL for 16 years and with a degree in social science, I really had to question my real ability in putting out a lesson that was interesting, worthwhile and appropriate to the field of work. I really cannot see how a four week course could provide very much in the areas of EOP, EST, EAP and business English. It is important to have a range of resources available, be aware of specific exams, develop your subject knowledge and develop problem solving and other skills.
Dealing with elipsis and essay writing I found to be a large chunk of the work.
I gained skills and became more confident by doing INTESOL 100 hour course. It is a good price, the service and feedback is good and the exercises are challenging. There cert. ESP covers all 4 skills and addresses various areas of English. I finished the course in January and no I am not on commission. It is also a recognised course! :D