What can you realistically cover in an 18 hour workshop?

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Eric18

What can you realistically cover in an 18 hour workshop?

Post by Eric18 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Recently a friend asked me for my suggestions for three 18-hour workplace workshops on "vital workplace communication skills" for ESL students. The workshops have to also be open to native English speakers.

Does anybody have some practical tips on what should be included? How would you structure it so you could "document meaningful and significant progress" as required by the funder? Do you just teach the test?

Suggestions? Experiences?

The workshops will be for a variety of employees by a large employer - from janitors and cashiers to home healthcare workers.

Kootvela

Re: What can you realistically cover in an 18 hour workshop?

Post by Kootvela » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Eric18 wrote:Recently a friend asked me for my suggestions for three 18-hour workplace workshops on "vital workplace communication skills" for ESL students. The workshops have to also be open to native English speakers.

Does anybody have some practical tips on what should be included? How would you structure it so you could "document meaningful and significant progress" as required by the funder? Do you just teach the test?

Suggestions? Experiences?

The workshops will be for a variety of employees by a large employer - from janitors and cashiers to home healthcare workers.
I suggest you break them into target groups as based on their professions and you teach some functional language like numbers, greetings, substance names, verbs, etc. based on their language level. Make them do lots of dialogues and get them speaking for fluency as much as possible.