New Message Board

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Gary B

New Message Board

Post by Gary B » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:53 am

Wha'z up?
I don't know about anyone else, but I think this new message board sucks!
Very Dissappointed With This Message Board From Motown Gary B.

dduck

New Message Board

Post by dduck » Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:15 pm

I actually think it's much better then the old style. What's not to like Gary?

Iain

LarryLatham

New BB system

Post by LarryLatham » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:05 pm

I'm with Iain. Granted, the new board takes some getting used to and I admit to still being a little confused with how to navigate in it. But I'm gradually learning--mostly from other posters who're using techniques I can copy. For instance, I learned to use the quote system from Iain. Well, to be honest, I can't claim to have mastered it yet, but at least I learned something about what it can do. I think in the long run most of us will much prefer this way.

It does, though, seem to be slow catching on. There are not many folks using the board, are there? :shock:

Gary B

Post by Gary B » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:51 pm

Wha'z up?
What I don't like about this message board is the pain in the ass it is to navigate. Sure, after you get used to it no problem, but what's the point? As Larry L. wrote, there aren't too many responses and messages as there were with the old system. I mean we all have to get used to change, but the other message board was much more user friendly and generated more messages and responses. Maybe that will change with time.
Chow for Now,
Still Like The Other Message Board Much Better From Motown Gary B.

dduck

New Message Board

Post by dduck » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:09 am

I must admit I just found this forum a few days ago, so I never got used to the old format. This new style is similar to the other forums I've used:

http://foro.developingteachers.com/
http://www.esltalk.com/forums/

So it didn't take me long to get used to the format.

Also,

http://www.esltalk.com/forums/showthrea ... hreadid=17

provides a number of general posting tips.

Iain 8)

Karl Dee

the new boards

Post by Karl Dee » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:38 am

I'm also with Iain and think the new format offers many more possibilities than the older one. Of course it'll take some getting used to--anything new does.

It's also natural that there would be fewer messages here: the old boards (which are still operational, but won't be much longer) have been in place for several years and the new format has just gotten started.

K. D.

Ann

I LOVE this message board format

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:24 am

I think THIS is more user friendly, so thank you thank you thank you, Dave.
I had emailed him several months back to make this site more user-friendly because it was such a pain weeding through responses that you weren't interested in.
So, I vote for this new look. Lookin' good...

Karl Dee

Post by Karl Dee » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:38 am

So far, I think the "like it" contingent is winning over the "it sucks" group--though the totals are very small, of course.

It's pointless to compare the new forums to the old ones. I can remember when they were just getting started, and few people used them at that time. Eventually, however, folks got used to them, and now we all wonder how they could ever have been seen as challenging.

I think the same situation applies to the new ones--and when the old boards are completely gone (as they will be eventually), people will either get used to doing something new or not post at all.

As I said earlier, change is always difficult. It's certainly not impossible, though.

K. D.

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:03 am

This new format is remarkably similar to esltalk's. The topical overview is a great help indeed. It is like a table of contents.
However, navigating now takes a bit longer. The threads keep growing as in the old days, yet you cannot just read the latest additions to them. You have to click the thread, then scroll down until you can read the latest submission(s). I miss the old style where you could skip the contributions already read.

Karl Dee

Post by Karl Dee » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:44 am

Roger wrote:This new format is remarkably similar to esltalk's.

It's not actually remarkable that this format is similar to esltalk's: the new "look" is due to the use of specific commercial software. It wasn't created specifically for "Dave's ESL Cafe."

dduck

Oldest First

Post by dduck » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:11 am

Roger wrote: You have to click the thread, then scroll down until you can read the latest submission(s). I miss the old style where you could skip the contributions already read.
There's a selection box at the bottom of the thread to reverse the order of messages: :)

"Display posts from previous: All Posts Oldest First"

Unfortunately, you have to scroll down to the bottom to change it and it's not remembered if you reread the thread :( It would be nice if there was something in the user's profile to set this option forum wide. Don't know if this is possible.

Iain

calumn1

ELS

Post by calumn1 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:07 am

As ex-Program Director for ELS Nizwa Oman
I would be very pleased tp provide information concerning working in Oman.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:59 pm

Hee, I have to thank calumn1 for getting me to read this thread, and therefore finding SEVERAL posts from the elusive Karl Dee! (Woohoo, he does exist ;).) (The initial post was before my time.)

revel

Post by revel » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:48 am

Karl Dee exists!
is existing
has existed
will have existed
will have been existing
could possibly have existed
existed
may exist!

:twisted:

peace,
revel.

Karl Dee

Post by Karl Dee » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:08 pm

I haven't monitored this forum (or any of the Teacher Discussion Forums) for a long, long time: it's far too time-consuming. Someone else is actually monitoring, but I don't know who.

Don't bother responding to this message, by the way. I don't know when I'll visit here again.

K. D.