helping out NOW!!

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jen

helping out NOW!!

Post by Jen » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:00 pm

Hey everyone! I just feel motivated to start helping out now anyway I can. I don't want to have to wait until I become a teacher to help. Mary Pipher's book has really inspired me. I was wondering if there was anyplace in this area where I could go and help out or work with ESL students or familes. I really liked the idea of being a "big sister" to someone like the girl had in the book. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!
Jennifer :D

Chronda

Post by Chronda » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:52 pm

Hi Jen, I just told my husband that I wanted to know what I could do now to help these children. I live in a small town and I don't think there is a program like Big sister, Little sister. It would be great to find out what we could do now before we are teachers. Let me know if you find out something.

Chronda

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:21 pm

Hello,
I'm so glad to hear that you are excited to teach ESL---and that Pipher's book is inspiring to you :D

YES--there are numerous places you can volunteer to teach ESL in east Texas. The adult learning center in Nac. is always looking for volunteers. Also, First Baptist Church has an ESL program for newcomers---and they always welcome volunteers. Not to mention, the local schools may be interested in volunteers.

Genie

Post by Genie » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:22 am

Two of my friends, one is Spanish major the other a Spanish minor at SFA are going to be helping teach English to adults this coming fall. They have been interested in what I'm learning in my ESL classes. I might also go help if I have time. It would be good to get experience before I get in the classroom.
Genie

Jen

Post by Jen » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:40 pm

Genie,
Thanks for your reply. Do you know any Spanish? Is it required to work with the adults. I just wondered if helping out was available to anyone or if you were going to get to help because they were your friends. Also, because your friends have a Spanish major and minor, I didn't know if you had to know how to speak Spanish to help out. Just curious. Thanks again to you and everyone for your reply. :D
Jennifer