Implementing ESL strategies in Lower Grades

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Itza

Implementing ESL strategies in Lower Grades

Post by Itza » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:20 pm

:lol: Hello! I'm currently a student at S.F.A. where I am currently studing to recieve my Bachelor's of Interdisciplinary Studies along with my certification for ESL. I will be graduating this December, and would like to know if any of you have information on how to implement ESL stragegies to lower grades. I'm talking about pre-k wise. I don't understand how ESL could be implemented to the lower grades, if at this age level they are trying to learn everything else. I am quite nervous about teaching ESL because I'm afraid I will not do a good job. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on how this could be done?

Carmen

Re: Implementing ESL strategies in Lower Grades

Post by Carmen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:39 pm

Itza wrote::lol: Hello! I'm currently a student at S.F.A. where I am currently studing to recieve my Bachelor's of Interdisciplinary Studies along with my certification for ESL. I will be graduating this December, and would like to know if any of you have information on how to implement ESL stragegies to lower grades. I'm talking about pre-k wise. I don't understand how ESL could be implemented to the lower grades, if at this age level they are trying to learn everything else. I am quite nervous about teaching ESL because I'm afraid I will not do a good job. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on how this could be done?

Itza-
I think that you can effectively teach ESL to all grades by first understandin gthe different aspects of the students culture, bringing that culture into your classroom environment, and by creating a safe environment in which they feel comfortable and INCLUDED!
Carmen

Jen

Post by Jen » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:15 am

Itza,
Hey girl! I have the same concerns as you. However, I am still a student as well so the only suggestions I can give is to use the TEKS as a guideline. Also, when you do start working in a school district, I doubt you will be the first ESL teacher they have so hopefully others will be able to assist you through your first year. Teachers have a way of coming together to help each other out and hopefully their will be someone there with you who has had previous experiences and will be willing to help you out. I know that's just my opinion but I hope it helps to ease your worries.
Jennifer

Itza

Post by Itza » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:37 am

Jen
Thanks for your response. I do hope I am lucky enough to work in a district where the teachers help each other out for the sake of the children. Thanks for easing some of my worries.

Genie

Post by Genie » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:17 am

Itza,
I'm a student too so this is just guessing. I will be teaching the middle grades (4-8). But from what I'm understanding about ESL is that it like teaching a little child to speak the language. I might be wrong but I think that a person would teach English to a little child like they would a one year old native speaker with lots of gestures and naming items over and over again. Lots of visuals. This is just my two cents, I'm not sure how right I am. Can any one else with this?
Genie

Itza

Post by Itza » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:40 am

Genie,
Thanks for your response. :D I also believe there is going to be a need for lots of hand gestures and repeating going on if I am to teach children the English Language. Especially if they don't know it or if I can't speak their language. Again, thanks for your response.