help!!!

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

fireworks

help!!!

Post by fireworks » Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:40 am

Hi there everyone.
I would like to know the most current issues in teaching English. I have to write a paper about these issues in general. Then I have to choose one topic to write a thesis on it. Any usggestions? :?:

Shottie78

Post by Shottie78 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:39 pm

Hi fireworks -
Thanks for finding this site, and what a great question :!: I think the most important thing I have learned in this class is one cannot teach properly without the trust of the student. In order to gain a student’s trust, several steps must be taken. The environment in which the child learns must feel safe and comfortable. This means setting up the classroom in a non-biased way. This reflects in the pictures, books, and set-up of the classroom. In order to be truly anti-biased, a teacher must understand and respect the cultures represented in the classroom, school, and community. This means staying current on issues and studies about children in general, and these cultures. The first language and culture of a student should never be disrespected or ignored. This also helps to gain the student’s trust. By being knowledgeable and respectful, a teacher can also gain the most sought after respect and support from family members. When the family and student feel important, they are more likely to trust the teacher.

I hope this helps you a little. Feel free to ask for more advice or details.

fireworks

Thanks a lot

Post by fireworks » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:33 am

Well, thank you for your response. Our library here is poor and I do want to get up to date with the field I am planning to work in. Thanks again.

voctor

Current Issues on teaching English

Post by voctor » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:20 am

This reply might be a bit late, it being the 21st and all. However, I would care to suggest that in my experience, one of the current issues is the notion of teaching someone a culture and not just a language. I find this especially relevant given the kind of press associated with English in the world today.

I don't know if other ESL teachers stop and think about this form of 'cultural imperialism'. Many would argue that it is not, given that students want to learn English. Maybe they need to (because America has created that need) and therein lies the difference.

Just a suggestion. Good luck with your thesis.