classroom supplies question (UK)

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jbh_OK

classroom supplies question (UK)

Post by jbh_OK » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:37 pm

I've recently moved to the UK from the US (Texas). So far, I've been unable to find the kinds of stores we had in Texas for classroom supplies (games, activities, classroom decorations, etc.). I'm not actually teaching yet...just about to enter a certification course, but wanted to get some resources together for activities that have already been assigned. Yet the people I have asked have just seemed puzzled and said they get their 'supplies' (meaning paper and scissors, then make their own) at office supply stores. Is there not such a thing here as a teachers' or classroom or educational supply store? Maybe I'm just using the wrong words or something?

Thanks.

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:41 am

Hi there,
Yep, I'm afraid it's the old "you say tomato and I say ketchup" question. In Blighty we get all that stuff from the local book shop if it's any good but normally the schools send off for this kind of thing. If it's any consolation, I'm teaching American English in Spain and I'm British. I'm sometimes quite perplexed by American vocabulary (hareware store vs ironmonger's etc.)
It's also wise to note that schools in the UK now have "business plans" which translates as "we don't spend anything on the classes." So get to work with that sticky-back plastic!
Well, be prepared for some shocks but good luck anyway. It's always an eye-opener working in other countries. It's like starting all over again. You'll get used to it.
Cheers
Dale

jbh_OK

Post by jbh_OK » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:15 pm

Dale wrote:... In Blighty we get all that stuff from the local book shop if it's any good but normally the schools send off for this kind of thing. If it's any consolation, I'm teaching American English in Spain and I'm British. I'm sometimes quite perplexed by American vocabulary (hareware store vs ironmonger's etc.)
It's also wise to note that schools in the UK now have "business plans" which translates as "we don't spend anything on the classes." So get to work with that sticky-back plastic!
Hi, Dale,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, in the U.S. now, most teachers (public schools or private) buy many of their own supplies, which is why we have the "teacher stores." A lot of parents who homeschool also use these stores, as do privately-owned day care (UK=child minders) providers. It's unfortunate, given the low pay situations in both UK and US, but it's usually for things that are not used up, such as classroom decorations and reusable teaching aids and games. Maybe I should start requesting some catalogs from US companies.

Teaching American English? Now that's interesting. If I can ever help unravel any American-ese, let me know.

Jane

Rania

Post by Rania » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:28 pm

hi Jane,

try www.viking-direct.co.uk. They're a large office supplies company that supply wholesale by mail order. They have a large selection of stuff - not always in large quantities. You should be able to order through this company as a freelancer or get the school you work for to order for you. Check out their website for details.

Regards,
Rania

clarer

Post by clarer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:27 pm

I believe there is a company called Consortium which sells all the stuff for nursery and schools, ie. paints, brushes, papers, everything crafty. There is also another outfit, but I can't remember the name...hope this helps.

natastar

Post by natastar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:25 pm

early learning centre might be worth a look

clarer

Post by clarer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:33 pm

ELC is good, but quite pricey. You could also go to one of those industry waste stores. Not sure what the correct name for them is but they have great stuff for arts and crafts and it's usually really cheap.