[Help} English native speakers needed as subjects!

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

laiyuda

[Help} English native speakers needed as subjects!

Post by laiyuda » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:51 pm

Hi, everyone,

I'm Steve, an English teacher in Taiwan. I'm now conducting a little research on English patterns, so I first need to know native speakers' judgment on a few sentences.

Hopefully, I can have some feedback here. The questionaire contains only 10 pairs of sentences. All you have to do is choose a sentence which you think sounds "better" based on your intuition.

If anyone can help me, please reply me by leaving your e-mail address here (or pm me) so that I can mail you the questionaire.

Thank you very much!!! :D

Rawgreenpower
Location: South Korea, Montreal,Ottawa,San Francisco, Washington DC, Dar es Salaam, Caribbean.

hi steve

Post by Rawgreenpower » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 am

my email is [email protected]

:P

heymaggie

Post by heymaggie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:55 am

my email address is [email protected]. Interested!

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:51 pm

From what I know, its not wise to post your email address on forums since email spamming programs farm email adresses from them. So if you don't like spam, its not a good idea. Anybody else have experience with this?

moonchild7903

Post by moonchild7903 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:45 pm

Hi laiyuda. I think it's great that you're conducting research but I think it's important to know the purpose of your paper. Depending on your objectives, is it wise to look for native speakers over the net? Should you control for the type of standard English used such as "Received Pronunciation (British)" or "General American English" or "Australian English"? I think that you respondents answers to your grammaticality judgment test might be affected by the kind of English they speak.

I think a better approach would be to look for the local expat community in your area and choose the kind of native speaker that you want especially if you will comparing their judgments to those of nonnative speakers. This way, you will have a "cleaner" methodology for your research paper.

What do you think?