Looking for motivations...

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Elenuccia

Looking for motivations...

Post by Elenuccia » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:07 pm

Why the processes of word-formation are important for English language and lexicon?

I need your help with this question and I need to find a precise definition of word-formation processes, please don't leave me alone and desperate right now!!! :cry:

I really don't know how to start my dissertation...I need to do a good introduction to the matter... :(

Thank you in advance :wink:

metal56

Re: Looking for motivations...

Post by metal56 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:34 pm

Elenuccia wrote:Why the processes of word-formation are important for English language and lexicon?
That question is ungrammatical.

Atassi

Post by Atassi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:02 am

Instead of answering your question, I'd rather point you in the right direction. For a dissertation, you need to get your points from other research articles (not this forum). You will have to pull what others say from journal articles, and cite them accordingly.

Good luck

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:11 am

In answer to your private question:
*Why the processes of word-formation are important for English language and lexicon?
It either doesn't need an question mark, if it is meant to be a statement, or it needs the verb "to be" placing before the suject.

Statement:
Why the processes of word-formation are important for English language and lexicon.
Question:
Why are the processes of word-formation important for English language and lexicon?

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:47 am

To follow up Metal's point, Why the processes of word-formation are important for English language and lexicon isn't a sentence. It needs to complement something, e.g I don't know... , I'm going to explain... My teacher told me.... By itself, it's meaningless.

I'm not sure what the right term would be. A Complement? A Relative?

Elenuccia

Post by Elenuccia » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:55 am

I'm italian...

sonya

Re: Looking for motivations...

Post by sonya » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:54 pm

heh

There are many types of word formation processes, the study of which is called morphology. you can start here for a more detailed explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphology ... uistics%29

good luck on your paper..

sonya