how to make students involved in the english text

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ljy_angela135

how to make students involved in the english text

Post by ljy_angela135 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:53 am

:?: i have been teaching the english for several years, and i found that the students are bored in the english class even though tthey want to study it well since they all know the importance of the language. i have tried to use the plays or games to attract their attention, but it does not work much. The explanation of vocabulory is bearable but the illustration of the text is not at all.
so i 'd like to ask for your views on the ways of text explanation. your idea are highly appreciated. thank you all the way.

Ivy007

Post by Ivy007 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:45 am

You'd better analyze the text content by the way relating to your students experience and previous knowledge.
Give more chances for your students to express their ideas and feelings concering the content of the text.
Or you can devide students into several groups, and ask them to make a discussion about this text.
Before the class, you can give some dicovery tasks for students. After the class, provide some references such as websites, books, CDs and movies to deepen their understanding of the text. At that time, their interests can be aroused.
Good luck! :wink:

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:40 pm

You can use your digital camera to make up new illustrations for the text with people and things the students are familiar with. You can also find all the texts that the previous classes used and have the students compare texts and how the topics are presented, what topics are missed and what topics are added. There is often a basement store room with stacks of old texts and you can cut them up usually and take them apart to make it easier to study along with present text books.