Board Games for ADULT students

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kadia

Board Games for ADULT students

Post by Kadia » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:47 pm

I am looking for ideas of board games to be used in adult ESL classes. The classes are small with 4-8 students typically in each, and they range in level from beginner to advanced, with some having a focus on English for business or tourism. The students are primarily working professionals from the public and private sector. Any ideas other than Scrabble?

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:34 am

It's not a board game, but when I was doing a Business English training course our teacher used "Pit". You can use it with beginners up to advanced, for groups up to 8. Easy to explain and learn, and very fast-paced.

Kadia

Post by Kadia » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:12 am

I haven't heard of Pit before. Can you explain a little bit about it or post some links or something? Thanks.

Also, any other suggestions for games, board or other, very much welcome!

Brian

Post by Brian » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:16 am

Word Up is a very good board game which was made especially for ESL students. The best thing is, the packs of cards range from beginner (I think) right up to advanced ... so all levels can use it.

My school has four sets and I recently used it with a level four class (intermediate). Some of the students enjoyed it so much, they asked me where they could buy their own copy.

I know that www.englishclub.com sells it - and they also have some pictures and information if you want to see for yourself what the game's about.

Brian

My comics ... www.grammarmancomic.com

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Deluxe Pit Card Game
Pit, the fast-paced card game from Parker Brothers, has been a top performer since its introduction way back in 1904. With all the ups and downs, desperate deals, and nonstop action of an actual trading floor in Canada of the grains market (corn, wheat, flax, etc.) , this lively game offers great fun without risking the family fortune. The rules are simple: Deal the cards, wait for the opening bell, scream and trade like crazy, be the first to corner a specific market (nine cards of the same suit like Corn, Wheat, Flax), and ring the closing bell. Sounds pretty realistic, doesn't it? Once you've got the basic game mastered, try throwing Bull and Bear cards into the mix--that's when things get really interesting!
Pit comes neatly boxed with a set of durable game cards, instructions, and a heavy-duty metal bell that's great for slamming. There are rules included for a silent bidding version of the game, but jumping up and down, gesticulating wildly, and shouting yourself hoarse is half the fun.

Number Of Players: 3 to 8
Recommended Ages: 7 and up

Starwords
A co-operative word game! Everyone makes words to cover as many Star Spaces as you can. But each word must be about what you see in the picture. The picture changes. Letters get recycled. Letters are given away. Discuss, share and compare ideas in a natural, friendly way.

Yes, you can look up words in the dictionary. No, you don't have to hide behind your letters. Word wizards can play the Advanced Version in which dice are rolled to see what kind of word has to be formed. Antonym? Adjective? Adverb? Noun? Verb? Rhyme?

Family members, students, or friends who simply enjoy word games will find Starwords a very refreshing treat! Nervous beginners can play alongside experts. Each makes their best contribution. Play for fun, not blood.

Includes: 13 x 17" board, die, reference chart, 100 letter tokens, collection of unusual pictures.

marble911

Post by marble911 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:48 pm

You might also try Activity, Pictionary or Taboo. Great games to teach vocabulary and make the students talk. Definitely more fun than Scrabble, in my view. You might have to create your own set of cards if the ones you can buy are too difficult/not suitable but it's not that hard.

analeigh

New Board Game

Post by analeigh » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:07 pm

My family just got the board game Nymble for Christmas- we've had fun with it and I may try it in the classroom. It's good for spelling and vocabulary. The basic premise is to start out with 9 random letters (a word scramble). There are three rounds that last 3 minutes each. YOu have three minutes to make as many 1)synoynm 2)antonym 3)and homonym pairs as you can out of the letters you have. It's a game that would only really work with upper level or advanced students, and I haven't tried it myself yet. Thanks for the ideas, though.