Road Runner cartoon

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Brian

Road Runner cartoon

Post by Brian » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi all,

Are you teaching present continuous to lower level students any time soon?

I took a Road Runner cartoon and added present continuous captions to it. Now it's on youtube.com, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdPOnvRwSZw

I thought it would make a nice warmer/review at the start of a lesson, or a fun way to wrap up the end of a lesson (for those of you with interactive whiteboards or CALL rooms).

Hope you enjoy it,

Brian

Grammar COMICS for your class ... www.grammarmancomic.com

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:08 pm

That was a neat idea. I'm not sure about the vocabulary, but the visuals make it pretty obvious. The only thing I would have trouble with my lower level students is the places where you want them to make the sentence themselves. There probably isn't time, but the next time you try one, it would be nice to have the answer somewhere. I'm afraid my students won't understand what to do, and if they do it, won't know if it's right. I will probably try it out anyway, as soon as I make sure youtube works on our computers at school. Thanks for being creative.

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks, Lorikeet

You're right - as a first attempt, I have to confess that this is a bit hit and miss. The main idea behind it is that there's a wealth of free (if illegal) material online, where humour and story is communicated purely visually (Mr. Bean is another classic example).

I'm imagining that a teacher planning to use it might also make an accompanying worksheet ... or pause the video at key moments to ellicit answers.

Failing that - I thought it would serve as a fun, six minute throw-away end of lesson closer where students have a laugh and take whatever they want from it. They've studied the tense for an hour or so - now they can see it in action with a few chuckles thrown in.

I also agree that there's some tricky vocabulary in there (how many beginner/elementary students know what a coyote is?) ... but I thought ... heck - why not push the boat out? After all, the focus is on the language structure (which I've included in positive, negative and question form). As you say - I'm sure they'll guess that 'coyote' is that dumb guy with the big ears who keeps getting squashed or burnt!

I'm just finishing off a similar thing - another RoadRunner cartoon with a focus on past simple. Same bat time - same bat channel.

Brian

www.grammarmancomic.com

ps - have also downloaded a heap of Mr. Bean clips - any suggestions on how best to use them?

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks, Brian. I used it today for the students who finished early. I think they enjoyed it as I saw them smiling and laughing. I still think for my purposes I'd rather have no "test" or the answers given after, but it's not a big enough thing to not use it. Let us know when the past tense one is ready ;) Thanks again.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Ok - the past simple one is ready!

It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCEUz763Rz4

I think I might do ones with present perfect or 'going to' also. Or maybe mixed tenses.

Hope your students like them,

Brian