how many ways we can use in class to teach writing? Urgent

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

wuyinxue315

how many ways we can use in class to teach writing? Urgent

Post by wuyinxue315 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:07 am

I will teach middleschool students writng in a few months. I want to know more about the methods of teaching,especially how to teach writing. Is there any effective methods that can be applied in class? :D

zhaoli

Re: how many ways we can use in class to teach writing? Urg

Post by zhaoli » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 am

first, you should ask the students to write a diary every week that he or she is interested in . then, ask the students to read some material in English and collect some good ideas and sentences and write them down.
After they finish writing their composition, you should ask them to revise by themselves, then ask peers to revise for them , at last you revise for them, and give them a grade .[/list]

Eric18

Journals and short reviews

Post by Eric18 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:34 am

Although it sounds odd, I strongly encourage the use of journal writing time where students can write anything they want for 20-30 minutes. I don't even collect them unless students want me to comment on them. I just want them to write, reflect, and find and use appropriate vocabulary to meet their needs. While I have never taught middle school, this technique has worked quite well with high school and community college students.
You might also teach them how to write short reviews... of music, movies, or comic books... even real books! One paragraph to objectively describe the song/album/movie - and one paragraph to evaluate it. What's the best part? What's the worst part? Can you compare it to any other song/album/movie? On a scale of 1-5, how many stars would you give it? Why?
Then encourage students to post their reviews on their favorite websites like IMDB or Amazon. Students love it!

liuyuanyuan

Post by liuyuanyuan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 am

i think as a teacher,you should lead them to keep up with the society,it is said the students should learn knowledge from outside not in the school,so the teacher may show them some pictures in the class and teach them how to grasp the informations from the picture.and then ask them to describ the picture.the teacher'd better give them hints so that they can express well.
on the other hand,asking the students to write diary everyday also is a good method to improve their writing level.you can have a try in your work!

emile

Post by emile » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:15 am

I like to get them to write in class, so I can help them as they go along. They should always do a second draft, and they should write on the PC rather than paper. They should always read their writing out to the class or in small groups. I find that when they know they are going to share it with their peers, they take extra care over what they write.

Ralph Sabio

Re: how many ways we can use in class to teach writing? Urg

Post by Ralph Sabio » Fri May 15, 2009 1:32 am

wuyinxue315 wrote:I will teach middleschool students writng in a few months. I want to know more about the methods of teaching,especially how to teach writing. Is there any effective methods that can be applied in class? :D
Hey Wuy,

How did it go? Do you still need some help? I teach 2 writing classes: 1 to returning students and 1 to an advanced level. I can help if you still need it. I am sure we can trade some great ideas.

Ralph
~
www.ralphsesljunction.com

Danielprice

Post by Danielprice » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 am

Having and overcoming struggles in school can be disheartening and extremely difficult for both Teacher and student. Finding solutions is critical and can be very rewarding.
A child stressed in reading and writing must first be given the proper level of work. Instead of constantly forcing a new book on the child, let them re-read a book they have already mastered.
Practice, practice, practice. The one and only method to make the students efficient in reading & writing.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun May 27, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm a middle school Language Arts teacher (for both native English speakers and ELL's), and I also teach ESL to 4th through 12th graders. As a teacher and a graduate of English Writing, Literature, and Education, I clearly see great value in writing. I love the use of journals (which can be used as often as everyday or not). I prefer this label to that of diary, which suggests a mandatory daily exercise.
However, I do believe that if we, as teachers, ask our students to complete a task, we owe them the courtesy of responding to their work. I have noticed that as I respond to my students' journal entries (with sticky notes in their journals), they begin to write more as they look forward to the communication. It seems to me that middle schoolers, with all the changes they are experiencing, really benefit from private communication with an adult who cares.
Of course, this writing and feedback serves to strengthen students' writing, and often leads to topics for their more formal essays that we are working on. I lead them by modeling my own writing (on an overhead projector or powerpoint), step by step through the process of writing in about 6 genres throughout the school year.
For my reluctant journalers, I use a prompt toward the beginning of the year to ask to them write about a time when they felt proud of their writing. I ask them to comment on what made them a writer. I remind students that their journals are a toolbench or an artist's canvas where they can be creative without worrying about being correct. If they experience a block, I have them just write out what's in their minds: the weekend's activities, favorite vacation spots, even how they are feeling about journaling.
I would sum up my view of the value of writing for language learning in this: When I buy a new computer or cell phone (akin to a student's writing product), I am unlikely to sit and just study the manual (textbook for grammar, structure and vocabulary); instead, I am apt to power up my new device and begin to work with it, consulting the manual (the Language textbook) on an as needed basis. I become adept with the new device by using it and questioning when I am unsure. I believe that language and writing are also best learned in the context of use, wherein learners consult the Language guidebook or their language instructor for focused assistance, and immediately make use of the information learned. Therein, learning accompanied by employment of such is more likely to become permanent.