Respect

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:23 pm

fluffyhamster wrote:How dare somebody with only half a dozen posts to her name insult a fellow linguist! Close ranks, lads!
:lol: Lucy - keep posting and don't let anyone intimidate you! We need more posters, not fewer.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm

I know it isn't pretty when well-to-do, middle-class and university educated ESL teachers gang up on a working class person However, moderator, I think the time has come to act. You warned him, and he threw it in your face. It seems to me that the tribe has spoken. Metal 56 has been voted out.

I'm quaking in my too big for my boots boots. My goodness, what would I do if I were banned? Where would I go? This world is THE world for me, as it seems to be for you.

Sob! Rejected? :roll:

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:43 pm

fluffyhamster wrote:I guess from your much-reduced posting rates these past few years that you didn't read or want to respond to many of metal's posts either, SJ. Could it be that he (too?) in fact makes less of a positive or useful contribution than you're now making out (he does)?

How dare somebody with only half a dozen posts to her name insult a fellow linguist! Close ranks, lads!
A softer name would be nice too - might I suggest "spongecake 23 1/2"?
You could change yours to Lucy White, as you remind me of someone quite close to us here.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:45 pm

lolwhites wrote:
fluffyhamster wrote:How dare somebody with only half a dozen posts to her name insult a fellow linguist! Close ranks, lads!
:lol: Lucy - keep posting and don't let anyone intimidate you! We need more posters, not fewer.
That's it, the forum for applied wussying is on its way. You might get to be mod, lolwhiteas. Wouldn't that be just fine and dandy?

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 pm

You might get to be mod, lolwhiteas. Wouldn't that be just fine and dandy?
If I do, I'll see you on Brighton beach. We are the mods! We are the mods!

BTW, why did you delete your earlier, incomprehensible post? You weren't drunk when you wrote it, by any chance?

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:58 pm

Stephen Jones wrote:I am afraid if you banned metal56 there would not be much linguistics left on this forum. We would just have vapid feel-good fluff from people like yourself and FH (whose posts I gave up reading a couple of years ago).

This is a linguistics forum, not a substitute teddy bear.
Indeed not. Who was it said "Science is not meant to make people feel good about themselves, it is meant to explore the world", or something like it?

lucy black

Post by lucy black » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:14 pm

They call applied linguistics a "soft" science, I believe.

Metal 56 simply attacks people, to my mind, finds something to attack and starts hectoring and bullying. He does not attempt to see another person's point. Stephen Jones at least sometimes does that. :?

It doesn't matter where you go, and no-one can prevent you from coming back. It's just that to my mind, Metal 56, you violate the rules of this public forum. It doesn't belong to you, or anyone else posting here. In order to make the atmosphere less "toxic" -(to quote another Lucy) you should be removed.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:22 pm

metal56 wrote:I'm quaking in my too big for my boots boots.
Hey, no using my 'boots boots'! And is anyone going to make it out of this ever-expanding catfight and onto the 'Linking Prepositions' poll thread that a new member (ouyang) recently started?

lucy black

Post by lucy black » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:47 pm

How about if Metal 56 proves himself to be a normal, decent human being, fit to be in charge of young people, by apologizing for any hurt and offence his rude behaviour has caused. Isn't that what most people would do, if such a thread came about?

If his monster-ego can manage that, it would certainly be a breath of fresh air.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:40 am

metal56 wrote:
lolwhites wrote:
That's it, the forum for applied wussying is on its way. You might get to be mod, lolwhiteas. Wouldn't that be just fine and dandy?
How anyone with more than basic literary skills and a rudimentary grasp of the English language can interpret my post as a call for "applied wussying" is beyond me. You've already knocked down that particular straw man.

I agree with Lucy that Stephen is rude, but rigorous, which is fine by me.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:38 am

How anyone with more than basic literary skills and a rudimentary grasp of the English language can interpret my post as a call for "applied wussying" is beyond me
Hm. Would your post be attacking the idea or the person, there, lolwuss?
I agree with Lucy that Stephen is rude, but rigorous, .
Would you say the same about Fluff, Revel and yourself?

If you get time, go search this forum for the words: berk, a-ss-hole and such. See what rigour you come up with.
Last edited by metal56 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:40 am

How about if Metal 56 proves himself to be a normal, decent human being, fit to be in charge of young people, by apologizing for any hurt and offence his rude behaviour has caused.
Do you feel that you are a young person and that I should be in charge of you here?

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 am

fluffyhamster wrote: And is anyone going to make it out of this ever-expanding catfight and onto the 'Linking Prepositions' poll thread that a new member (ouyang) recently started?
Ask Revel, he left it yonks ago.

:shock:

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:01 am

metal56 wrote:
How anyone with more than basic literary skills and a rudimentary grasp of the English language can interpret my post as a call for "applied wussying" is beyond me
Hm. Would your post be attacking the idea or the person, there, lolwuss?
Attacking willful, disingenuous misinterpretation, regardless of who does it. Maybe you would like to explain how anyone who understands English can interpret "keep posting and don't feel intimidated" (which is basically what I said) as "Let's all handle each other with kid gloves" (which is basically what you said I said). Oh, that's right, you can't, which is why you changed the subject in the hope of taking my eye off the ball. Those tricks just don't work anymore.
metal56 wrote:
I agree with Lucy that Stephen is rude, but rigorous, .
Would you say the same about Fluff, Revel and yourself?
Sometimes. As far as I'm concerned people can be as rude as they like so long as they engage in debate, attempt to see other points of view and respond to what people actually say. Stephen may come across as rude and arrogant but at least one can debate him because he engages with what you say, not what he would like you to have said.
If you get time, go search this forum for the words: berk, a-ss-hole and such. See what rigour you come up with.
IIRC I think you'll find I used the word berk (hardly the gravest insult in the language) after several pages of your characteristic willful misinterpretation. I once used the word bollocks to describe something you said, along with my reasons for so doing.

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:14 am

Maybe you would like to explain how anyone who understands English can interpret "keep posting and don't feel intimidated" (which is basically what I said)
How about "feel imtimidated by all means - life and language conflicts can get rough after all - but get over it quickly and keep posting". Now that's not wussie advice, is it?

As Stephen said, this forum is not a substitute for Teddy.
IIRC I think you'll find I used the word berk (hardly the gravest insult in the language)
Love it, lol. How much more of that "I may be bad on occasion, but I'm not as bad as you" can we take before we break down in tears?

Reading your posts, I think I'm turning wuss? Help!!! No!!

Next time you use the word bollocks, why not add "someone with a pair of..." to it?