Interesting (and strange sounding) sentence.

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:20 am

After leaving the church Dalgliesh went briefly back to the Yard to pick up his file on Theresa Nolan and Diana Travers, and it was after midday before he arrived at 62 Campden Hill Square. He had brought Kate with him, leaving Massingham to supervise what remained to be done at the church. Kate had told him that at present there were only women in the house, and it seemed sensible that he should have a woman with him, particularly as it was Kate who had first broken the news. It was not a decision he had expected Massingham to welcome, and nor had he. These first interviews with the next of kin were crucial, and Massingham wanted to be there. He would work with Kate Miskin loyally and conscientiously because he respected her as a detective and that was what he was required to do. But...

:) p. 91, Ballantine Books Edition
Urgh. I processed the fragment fine, but the longer passage gave me indigestion, so it's back to the lightweight entertainment of Basic Instinct on ITV2+1 for me. :D

Talking of stodge, anyone fancy replying to the OP on the recent 'Language of ads/jokes' thread? :P

woodcutter

Post by woodcutter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:39 am

I would say that the decision is more laborious to identify than the second "he".

JuanTwoThree

Post by JuanTwoThree » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 am

I am not sure that anybody would be persuaded to read the book on the basis of that excerpt, and nor am I.

LarryLatham

Post by LarryLatham » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 pm

You blokes just don't good writing when you see it. :wink:

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, I try not to bad writing when I see it.*

JTT wrote:I am not sure that anybody would be persuaded to read the book on the basis of that excerpt, and nor am I.
Pure genius!

*My missing word is 'quote'. I guess yours was 'get' or 'appreciate', Larry! 8)

LarryLatham

Post by LarryLatham » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 pm

"My missing word is 'quote'. I guess yours was 'get' or 'appreciate', Larry!"

I can't remember back that far, Fluff. Who can tell what may have been in my mind, if anything at all!

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Ah, wait, what was I thinking! It must've been 'dig', eh, Larry! (Far enough back for ya?). :lol: :wink: