Do employers care whether I have online certification or not

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

abrentley

Do employers care whether I have online certification or not

Post by abrentley » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:01 pm

Like most people, my money is short, and I am intimidated by some of the prices I've seen for TEFl certification. My goal is to teach in Brazil, Italy, Prague, or Greece. For this, I need TEFL certification. I recently came across a company called i-to-i (http://www.onlinetefl.com/goabroad/), and they offer an affordable online TEFL course that runs for 2-3 weeks. My questions are:

1. Are these guys reputable?
2. Do employers prefer online versus in-person certification?
3. Should I be paying more than the $295 this company advertises?
4. Given that they do not offer guaranteed placement (or assistance), am I hurting myself by going with these guys?
5. Given my country choices, will I have a hard time finding work? Should I only go with a country that offers full job support?
6. Are there better online companies I should go with?
7. Should I not consider online companies at all?

sita

Post by sita » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:58 pm

1. Are these guys reputable?

No
2. Do employers prefer online versus in-person certification?

I think a reputable employer would prefer a degree...
3. Should I be paying more than the $295 this company advertises?
NO :!:

4. Given that they do not offer guaranteed placement (or assistance), am I hurting myself by going with these guys?
YES
5. Given my country choices, will I have a hard time finding work? Should I only go with a country that offers full job support?

Get a degree!
6. Are there better online companies I should go with?
Maybe
7. Should I not consider online companies at all?

I think you should study.

Just my 2 cents

Siân

jlberg

i to i training

Post by jlberg » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:35 pm

How do you know they are not reputable. I also am considering them for a certificate. I am presently doing a master's degree online - along with 1000's of others.

Transitions Abroad mentions i to i in an article by someone who is teaching in Chile, using her online certificate.

Is there someone out there who has real information on this subject and not just an opinion?
Thanks,

sita

Post by sita » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:07 am

a TEFL course that runs for 2-3 weeks :!: :!: :!:

Yeah, after that you are sure to be able to teach perfectly after an online TEFL course that runs for 2-3 weeks. :shock: :shock:
:D :D :D :D :D

Is there someone out there who has information on this subject and not just an opinion?

As nobody replied........ it appears they haven't real any information :twisted: :twisted:

Best wishes
Siân

jlberg

On Line TESL degree

Post by jlberg » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:47 am

Not all of these courses are only a few weeks. I have a bachelor's degree from a university and am pursuing a master's online - a 2 year project. If there is anyone with any valuable information, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
JImjmie

revel

Employers might not care, but....

Post by revel » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:01 am

Good morning!

Employers might not care, but the government often does. In Spain I can not teach ESL because my university studies were concluded with an MFA in theatre. So, I have an administrative post on my work contract and do special courses in the academy where I work. Until I have a TOEFL or such degree I can not be a teacher in Spain. I'm certainly not going back to university, haven't time for such. Finally, got around that problem thanks to a loophole in the law, only had to take a course called something like "Formation of Formation Teachers" through the local unemployment office.

On-line courses are of varying lengths. In looking for teachers for summer camp last year, I interviewed people with from 20 to 100 hours of TOEFL coursework done. My boss doesn't care if I have the certificate or not, has pointed out that if one has it fine, but if not, there are other "degrees" that are more useful. But again, that depends on the rules of the game in the country where you want to teach. I'd find out from the immigration service first, since they are sometimes the hardest nuts to crack when thinking about settling in a country that is not your own.

peace,
revel.

jlberg

Post by jlberg » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:42 am

Thank you - that is most informative information I have received. I have a ba in communication and am doing a masters in organizational management. I am still researching the esl courses. I will probably wait until I am in country to decide what to do next.

Thanks again,

Jimmie

sarasason

Online certifications

Post by sarasason » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:12 am

I agree with Revel in terms of the acceptability of online certification being contingent upon the rules in a specific country. Currently, I’m in Taiwan teaching English and online tesol certification is acceptable. Mainly, you need to have a B.A. to teach English (however, there are places and ways for which you don’t need one). If you do have an online tesol certificate and a B.A. you would have more of an advantage plus can get paid more. In the private elementary school, I will be working in another foreign teacher took an online course at Harrow’s Institute of Linguistics and it was accepted. I also got my certification there and you could complete within a week or so. If you do want or need your tesol certification or others quickly and easily I recommend this Institute. I’m actually working for them now, so if you need more info., just let me know. Hope this helps. Email me at [email protected]

Sarah

JennyJJ

Post by JennyJJ » Wed May 19, 2004 8:13 am

If you go to the teacher training forum on Dave's you'll hear some rather strong opinions on this issue.

You want to know about a TESOL or TEFL certificate - this is the TOEFL forum.

#1. Some training is better than none. So anything you do to learn more and improve your classroom skills is helpful.

#2. Some people say that the "international standard" (whatever that is) is 100-120 hours of classroom training and a minimum of eight to ten hours of supervised teaching practice. This standard is, of course, related to the CELTA and a great variety of other courses who focus on that level of training (and have decided they know best).

#3. As a former teacher trainer (so I have a bit of an agenda here), I think that some supervised classroom training is very helpful, if not essential. There are a lot of very skilled (some even gifted) teacher trainers our there that could do wonders for your classroom skills.

#4. The CELTA etc. courses tend to run from about US$1000 up to double or triple that - sometimes including housing during training. The courses are very much full time - and require from four to six weeks.

#5. Some countries have a strong perference for a particular kind of certification, but the bottom line usually is that if you have a degree and some experience - the certification is just frosting on the cake. But a frosting that can greatly increase your job satisfaction and effectiveness.

#6. The only time a specific certification will be needed and required and your online course will hurt you is when a CELTA certified person is hiring and thinks it is the only possible qualification - and many of them think that. Kind of a cult really.

I've taught in five different countries and have an M.Ed. and MBA, and am a certified teacher in Arizona in the USA - but I still keep reading, taking courses and trying to improve my skills. I think all good teachers should do the same.

JamesMayer

education online bachelor degree

Post by JamesMayer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:32 am

tell me what do you think of this site, a bit different from the normal education system isn't it?
online bachelor degree
james[/url]

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:49 pm

I am currently working on my TOEFL certification online through New School University. www.dialnsa.edu. There are nine classes total you have to take, six required and three elective, and you need to already have a bachelors degree. There is student teaching involved, which some places may prefer. I know that Wisconsin, where I live, requires that all teachers student teach, which is why O signed up for this program. They only other requirement is that you finish in 4 years.