Even a blind man "can/could" see that I love you v

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

Even a blind man "can/could" see that I love you v

Post by hereinchina » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:26 am

Hello ,
I'm not sure if I should use "can" or "could" in the following sentences, or are both ways grammatically correct?
Even a blind man "can/could" see that I love you very much.
Even a blind man "can/could" see that I was hurt.
I have one more question. I'm not sure if sentence No. 1, or No. 2, is correct, or are they both correct.
1. Even if I can help you I won't.
2. Even if I could help you, I wouldn't.

PaulV

Post by PaulV » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Hello here in China. Both forms are correct; the difference is the voice of the verb.

1. Even if I can help you I won't. This is a simple statement of fact; therefore, the present tense modals are used.

2. Even if I could help you, I wouldn't. The difference here is that the subjunctive voice is used because the situation is now hypothetical, so the modals are backshifted.

In sentence (1) you are saying, if at a time in the future you are able to help, you will not. In sentence (2) you are saying, you can not help, but even if you could you would not.

Anyway, hope that helps.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:03 am

A blind man being able to see is not a possibility, so one could question the 'can' in 'Even a blind man "can/could" see that I love you very much'. The fact that the 'love' here is a timeless//ever-/still-present truth (rather than a past one) is besides the point, so the modal doesn't necessarily have to (and IMHO shouldn't) agree "tense"-wise with the 'love'. Another option though might be to fudge the issue somewhat and make the modal phrase a bit more "spread" between '(in)ability' and '(un)likelihood': Even a blind mad would be able to see that I love you very much.

In 'Even a blind man "can/could" see that I was hurt' however, the 'was' is pretty much the signal that the rest of the story should also be in, and therefore expressed using, the past.

I think PaulV (welcome to the forums by the way!:)) has answered your other question pretty well (though I guess most of the regulars on the forums would prefer to talk in terms of 'remoteness' than viewing this as a 'backshift' let alone a 'subjunctive' :o 8)).

PaulV

Post by PaulV » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 pm

fluffyhamster wrote:A blind man being able to see is not a possibility, so one could question the 'can' in 'Even a blind man "can/could" see that I love you very much'. The fact that the 'love' here is a timeless//ever-/still-present truth (rather than a past one) is besides the point, so the modal doesn't necessarily have to (and IMHO shouldn't) agree "tense"-wise with the 'love'. Another option though might be to fudge the issue somewhat and make the modal phrase a bit more "spread" between '(in)ability' and '(un)likelihood': Even a blind mad would be able to see that I love you very much.

In 'Even a blind man "can/could" see that I was hurt' however, the 'was' is pretty much the signal that the rest of the story should also be in, and therefore expressed using, the past.
When using could, the statement is hypothetical; it refers to a non-existent blind man in a non-existent situation. When using can it is factual; the statement implies that there are, in fact, blind men who can see something. The impossibility of blind men seeing is precisely the point; the statement is intended to be ironic.

I have difficulty with the assertion that the could, in this particular case, is related to tense. That's why I suggested a subjunctive interpretation since subjunctive is often used to express a non-finite predicate that is hypothetical. It may, however, be simply a present tense unreal conditional, e.g. If I could walk, I would run.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am

Hi again Paul.:) Just to be clear, I myself wasn't asserting that could had anything to do with tense, rather it's HIC's question that is implying or suggesting that he thinks there should be such a link or "bridge" as it were between a modal in one clause and an actual tensed verb in another clause, which I was simply "picking up on" in passing. Probably the best answer to his question(s - there are similar IIRC) would be that, just as there is a wider range of conditional structures than just the so-called four (zero, and first to third), teachers might find things easier if they took each clause one at a time with no absolute expectation that it should necessarily conform with any other.

All that being said, I think you would have to agree that Even a blind man can see that I was hurt does clang a bit. (Anyone care to explain exactly why? But wait, only joking with this here paragraph! We've sort of been [HIC] through this one before: "A blind man being able to see is not a possibility..." LOL).

I'm pretty sure like I say that the term 'subjunctive' has a more limited role in most grammars nowadays, but I could be wrong, and it is perhaps an easier term than whatever term(s) might substitute for it here!

hereinchina

thanks

Post by hereinchina » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Hello,
I want to thank both of you for your help.
Best wishes