CALL for young learners

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Iga

CALL for young learners

Post by Iga » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 am

I have a 3-year-old boy.
Mandarin is our mother tongue.
I sometimes read English storybooks to him or play and sing English songs, rhymes with him.
Now I'm considering is it appropriate or how to make it appropriate to integrate technology in English learning for such a young learner.
Please give me some suggestions.

mlordon

Post by mlordon » Tue May 29, 2012 1:58 pm

I use Starfall.com with Pre-K and Kindergarten age students that are second language learners and the site is completely appropriate for your 3-year old. The graphics and modeling would be perfect for age appropriate phonemic awareness and beginning to read skills. Additionally, your son will learn many concepts of print awareness skills that will make him reading ready when he enters school. The readers and games on the site are interactive and you and he can do them together.

I think it is great that you are so involved with his learning English and that you are utilizing technology to help him. Kids are so engaged when they are using technology and don't even realize they are learning as they are playing

Let me know what you think.

lek72

CALL

Post by lek72 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:43 am

Dawn it. Mlordon took my answer. I was going to suggest www.starfall.com for your 3-yr old child. I also use this website with my pre-k students. They fell in love with the first day I introduced them to this website. It is almost the end of the school year, but they still love to practice their numbers and ABCs through Starfall on the SmartBoard--an interactive white board that they don't have to use a mouse (sort of like touch screen cell phones but on a large whilte board).

Another suggestion is www.gamequarium.com. This website also has a lot of activities for your young child, but I use this website for older elementary students because it has more activities for each subject matter, such as math, language arts, spelling, reading, etc.

I hope you'll find this helpful. Good luck.