Teaching Beginning levels

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Madeline

Teaching Beginning levels

Post by Madeline » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 pm

I am sure that teaching students that are at a beginner level can be frustrating and challenging. Students do have little or maybe no knowledge at all in the target language. Right now I am currently an ESL teacher for students who all speak Spanish and this is their native language. I find it not so challenging because I can speak in Spanish also. This helps me because if they do not understand what I am saying in English I can speak Spanish and get my point across. What if I have a variety of students that speak different languages. How would I deal with this with a beginner?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri May 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Learn some of their languages as well. If they can learn English, you can learn French, Arabic, Greek, Mongolian, etc. At least learn the basics that you are teaching them plus encouraging words and instructions - write, sit, share, be nice and work hard.