Smartboards

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

eslwendy

Smartboards

Post by eslwendy » Sat May 26, 2012 5:02 pm

I am very interested in finding ways to integrate technology into my classroom. I have found several helpful sites that could be fun and educational for my students (FYI- just was excited to find a whole forum on here about CALL). However, I do not see a lot of mention of Smartboard use. I use it general ed. all the time, and it is such a fun, interactive way to involve the students. It's also great for students who may need a different method of learning as it gets them out of their seats, and they can manipulate the board, and move things around. Does anybody know of any links or activities for the Smartboard designed for ELL's?

halsto64

Post by halsto64 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't have a technical "smart board" in my classroom, but I do use mimeo technology on a regular basis which is, for most uses, the same. Any of the websites that students can bring up on their PC can be brought up on a smartboard! Students love interacting with it when it's on the big screen. One of the websites mentioned by Brown is a quia website that I've been using for quite some time. I wish I had amazing web design abilities though, because I would redesign the quizes on Quia. I do not like the layout or size. I really also like using the interactive books on the smartboard that have the option for students to hear it read aloud. This is a neat variance of instruction for when modeling/teaching phrasing and expression of certain parts of texts. I could go on and on; there are so many amazing websites and with the smartboard they are brought larger than life! I also have this neat thing called an elmo. It is like a projector, but it's inverse so to speak. It's a document camera. So you can put down anything for the camera to capture; it does not have to be on a transparency sheet. I use this with my students for peer editing. It can be more effective than me pointing out their mistakes and handing a draft back. Instead, small student groups who are comfortable with each other share their documents up on the elmo. Most of the time, students notice and self correct their own errors when they are up there. Otherwise, I guide them or other students make suggestions for revisions and editing. Technology is such a great tool to use to aid instruction!

smantrach

Technology in the Classroom

Post by smantrach » Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 pm

I use technology as a teaching tool in my classroom to support the different subjects I teach my students. In the computer center, I put different software games like Bailey’s or Millie’s Book House for the children. I have them both in Spanish and English. I also put stories in the computer and the listening centers. This way the children get to hear and see the pictures either in the book or the computer when learning new vocabulary words, numbers/shapes, rhyming songs... I also have a smart board in my classroom that has a lot of interactive games and stories. With the help of the school technician, we downloaded more games into the smart board. There are a lot of games, stories, and activities in it and I am still learning to use it. The children love it as they get to use all the interactive games and stories. The only thing is that only one child can use it at the time. I was in a technology workshop where we used a smart table. Those are fun too as you can have more than one player at the time. This way you can place children of different levels to support and help each other. We are to going to get one next year in our classroom. I use technology in the classroom as a tool and in moderation.

Brie M.

SmartBoards

Post by Brie M. » Tue May 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I have a SmartBoard in my classroom and I use it for my 2nd grade class with ELL students included and my after-school ELL tutoring class. I find it very beneficial for my ELL students. I use the SmartBoard Exchange website and I can search for games or activities to use with my students. You have to sign-up but it is free. Then the lessons/activities are organized but subject/grade and some are specifically for ELL. The newer smartboards allow two students to write on it at a time, but I have the older version. I dont think it is a problem since it allows chances for modeling for the students. I also have students complete the activities on laptops when I plan for individual practice. I would highly recommend checking it out!

lek72

SmartBoards

Post by lek72 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:43 pm

SmartBoard is an awesome technology to use in the classroom; I use in my general ed classroom all the time. I use it to give short powerpoint lectures where I incorporate some interactive practice exercises. I also use a few fun websites to let the students practice their language arts and math skills. But to be honest, you can use them for anything. Some of the websites that I recommend are gamequarium.com, starfall.com, topmarks.co.uk/interactive.aspx, readwritethink.org, http://www1.center.k12.mo.us/edtech/everydaymath.htm, and many more. I hope these sites will get you started.