Listening Skills

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

[email protected]

Listening Skills

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello. I have been studying listening skills lately, both in relationship to my ELL's and for myself. I have read about eight different factors that influence the processing of speech: clustering, redundancy, reduced forms, performance variables, colloquial language, rate of delivery, stress, rhythm, and intonation, and interaction. As I strive to assist my students in comprehending spoken language and continue my own study of another language, I am wondering what others have used to assist their students and themselves in listening skills. As I have a few students with very little English who must survive rigorous high school English Lit. and History courses in the school where I teach, I would so appreciate any advice.

TeacherScrev

listening

Post by TeacherScrev » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 am

My students really benefit from having access to content related materials in an audio form. Sometimes, you are able to find the books on CD or free downloads of the books. However, oftentimes the students struggle with reading much more than just the literature read in class. Textbooks are often written using vocabulary that is not yet easily accessible to them. I have recorded my own voice (one that they are very familiar with) reading their textbooks and uploading the chapters as an audiopodcast on either my own teacher website or on Edmodo (or other websites that all students are able to use). It has helped my students build on their listening skills, as well as help them with reading that is required of them at home.