Suggested Games for 7-12 year olds

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

thailen

Suggested Games for 7-12 year olds

Post by thailen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:35 am

Any ideas for games for beginning level students re colors, common phrases, directions, weather, shopping, comparatives?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:37 am

There is something called a Sticky at the top of this forum and it is all about games. There is also one in the Elementary forum. There are many ideas in Dave's Cookbook as well. Have you been to enchantedlearning.com?

bceproducts

Post by bceproducts » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi,
Simon Says is a fun game to use in practicing common phrases, esp simple commands like "write your name," etc. I also have other games and activities related to your question on my website, some are free downloads at www.bilinguallearner.com
Hope this helps!

~~~Like us on our Bilingual Learner Facebook Page to read our travelogue about ESL adventures while backpacking in Europe!~~~

Sarcastro

Post by Sarcastro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 am

Sally Olsen wrote:There is something called a Sticky at the top of this forum and it is all about games. There is also one in the Elementary forum. There are many ideas in Dave's Cookbook as well. Have you been to enchantedlearning.com?
Yeah but those are web based games. I'm interested in some icebreakers and fun simple games for this age group. I dont have the web in my classes.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm

There are four pages of web sites suggesting games that you can print out and ideas you can use in the classroom. You don't need a computer in the classroom. Since you have a computer to talk to us, you can read the ideas for the games as well. All the ideas at enchantedlearning.com are printable.

katherinejones24

Post by katherinejones24 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:46 am

Sally Olsen wrote:There are four pages of web sites suggesting games that you can print out and ideas you can use in the classroom. You don't need a computer in the classroom. Since you have a computer to talk to us, you can read the ideas for the games as well. All the ideas at enchantedlearning.com are printable.
Thanks! I printed some to facilitate in some of my classes. Thank you.

Helena D

games

Post by Helena D » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I love using games in the classroom :D Since young kids need to get off their chairs sometimes, I put pictures on the floor and have them jump from one picture to another as I say the words - e.g. it works well with colors. Put pieces of colored cardboard on the floor: 2 of each color you want them to learn. Get two kids compete - who jumps on the right color first. 2 pieces - so that they don't fight and push each other. Then two more kids, etc.

silencedobetter

Action games

Post by silencedobetter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 am

Action games can be very useful. I do it at the beginning of every class. It wakes the students' spirit and allows them to release their energy. You can ask one student, "What is Lucy doing?" The student can say, "She is dancing." Then Lucy has to dance. Some shy students wouldn't do the action, but you can ask them to speak instead.

silencedobetter

Traffic Light

Post by silencedobetter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 am

Just last week, I introduced them to the game traffic lights. When I shout "Green", they can move but they can not hit or bump other kids, if they do, they are out of the game. "Red" and they have to freeze, they move and they are out of the game. "Yellow" and they have to move in slow motion, "Black" and they have to go back to their own seats. "White" and they have to change seats.

mrjchinaesl

Childrens Games and activities at MrJChinaESL.com

Post by mrjchinaesl » Wed May 21, 2014 2:51 am

There are many active fun games at MrJChinaESL.com Games are great for ages 4-12. New Games Posted every week.

silencedobetter

Re: Suggested Games for 7-12 year olds

Post by silencedobetter » Fri May 23, 2014 9:03 am

thailen wrote:Any ideas for games for beginning level students re colors, common phrases, directions, weather, shopping, comparatives?

Here are a list of warm up games, vocab games and grammar games: http://goldstarteachers.com/my-top-7-classroom-games/

I hope it's helpful

tavel

Post by tavel » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 am

This is similar to another commenter's, but what I like to do is have plenty of flashcards. I spread these out on the floor, get them into two teams (or just a free-for-all in small classes). You'll need maybe 15 or 20 flashcards.

In my own lessons I've had to teach the sounds of various objects (e.g. rainwater drips, a camera clicks, teeth chatter). What I did was have a picture of the object and the word below it (e.g. camera). Then I said, "Find me something that clicks," with repetition and gestures as necessary.

So if you wanted to use colours you could go one of two ways: a) Say, "Find me something yellow!" and have pictures of various yellow objects such as a banana, lemon etc.
b) Say, "What colour is a banana?" if you're teaching fruits, food or objects, and have them choose a yellow card.

Note that you'll need a lot of flashcards, and this works better when you're trying to reinforce vocab. I've not tried it w/ prior knowledge, so I'm not sure how it'd work.